Kim Jong-un's mystery lady is a North Korean pop star!

Started by garbon, July 11, 2012, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.fuse.tv/2012/07/kim-jong-un-mystery-lady-is-a-north-korean-pop-star

QuoteThe Supreme Leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-un (son and successor to the late Kim Jong-Il), has been spotted at several official gatherings in recent weeks with a mystery lady. And now, according to the Daily Mail, she's been identified as Hyon Song-wol, a North Korean pop star!

And it gets way juicier: Jong-un and Song-wol—who reportedly was once married to (and had a baby with) an officer in the North Korean Army—allegedly started a relationship over a decade ago. But the late Jong-Il forbade his son from seeing her!

A South Korean intelligence official said, "The two have known each other since they were in their teens and rumors about the two having an affair have been circulating among Pyongyang's top elite."

Hyon Song-wol enjoyed chart success as the frontwoman in an outfit called Bochonobo Electronic Music Band. Their songs include (seriously) "Excellent Horse-Like Lady," "Footsteps of Soldiers," "I Love Pyongyang," "She is a Discharged Soldier" and "We are Troops of the Party." And those might be the best song titles in the history of pop music.

Listen to Song-wol sing Bochonobo's killer hit single "Excellent Horse-Like Lady" below, and then let us know what you think in the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tkXgw2OMY (vid of "Excellet Horse-Like Lady")
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/07/woman-seen-with-kim-jong-un-identified/

QuoteHyon then wed a member of the North Korean army and had a child. The circumstances of her marriage and her child were not known.

:ph34r:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PRC

One of her hit songs is named "Excellent Horse-Like Lady".

Habbaku

Quote from: PRC on July 11, 2012, 01:48:08 PM
One of her hit songs is named "Excellent Horse-Like Lady".

You must've read the article!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Oh yeah sorry for not calling it out - that's what the youtube link is to. Amazing. :D

Iormlund

Malthus

As to the video - who knew that working in a North Korean factory was so much fun?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

More Kim Jong-un wackiness.

QuoteOn North Korean TV, a Dash of (Unapproved) Disney Magic

Korea Central News Agency, via Reuters

TOKYO — After a failed missile launching, aborted diplomacy with Washington, and continuing international pressure over the country's nuclear program, North Korea's untested young leader has tried once again to take a dramatic step with his isolated, impoverished nation, this time with a bit of unapproved help from Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh.

North Korean state-run television on Monday showed footage of costumed versions of Tigger, Minnie Mouse and other Disney characters prancing in front of the leader, Kim Jong-un, and an entourage of clapping generals.

The footage also showed Mr. Kim in a black Mao suit watching as Mickey Mouse conducted a group of young women playing violins in skimpy black dresses. At times, scenes from the animated Disney movies "Dumbo" and "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" were projected on a multipanel screen behind the entertainers; an article in the state-run press said unnamed foreign songs were on the bill.

The appearance of the characters from the United States, North Korea's mortal enemy, was remarkable fare on tightly controlled North Korean television, which usually shows more somber and overtly political programs. A Disney spokeswoman, Zenia Mucha, had no comment Monday beyond a statement: "This was not licensed or authorized by the Walt Disney Company."

As with many things in the North's bellicose and reclusive Stalinist government, Mr. Kim's rationale was a mystery, but there was a hint that the performance might be significant. An article about the performance by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency said that Mr. Kim, who took over after the death in December of his father, Kim Jong-il, had a "grandiose plan to bring a dramatic turn in the field of literature and arts this year."

The footage included a segment with a broadly smiling Mr. Kim — with his marked resemblance to his revered grandfather, Kim Il-sung, the nation's founder — gesturing like a symphony conductor as he gave guidance on music and art to what appeared to be a half-dozen North Korean reporters busily scribbling in notebooks, one of them in a military uniform. The article on the performance said it featured a band organized by Mr. Kim himself.

Adding to the enigma offered, an unnamed young woman was seated next to Mr. Kim. Speculation about her identity ranged from sister to love interest.

There have been expectations that Mr. Kim, who is believed to be in his late 20s and to have been educated in Switzerland, might try to take his nation in a new direction with some sort of opening to the West. However, he has also at times shown the same rigid defiance as his father.

This mix of opening and confrontation was apparent in April, when Mr. Kim's government ignored international condemnation to launch a multistage rocket it said carried a satellite. The United States said it was a ballistic missile test. The launching, which was uncharacteristically opened to select overseas media organizations, proved a humiliating setback when the vehicle exploded minutes after liftoff. It prompted the Obama administration to scuttle a month-old deal that had briefly raised hopes of reducing tensions by allowing inspections of the North Korean nuclear weapons program to be resumed.

The performance was not the first time the Kim dynasty's fate had been entwined with Disney. In 2001, the current leader's older brother, Kim Jong-nam, was apparently banished from the line of succession after being detained by the Japanese authorities while trying to enter Japan on a Dominican Republic passport to visit Tokyo Disneyland.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/world/asia/kim-jong-un-appears-with-mickey-mouse-and-other-disney-characters-on-north-korean-tv.html?_r=1

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

QuoteA Disney spokeswoman, Zenia Mucha, had no comment Monday beyond a statement: "This was not licensed or authorized by the Walt Disney Company."

LOL, I suppose it wasn't.

Malthus

Well, to be honest, it is kinda hard to tell the difference between Disneyworld and North Korea ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

From watching that video I get the impression North Korea is a really happy, fun place. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

I happened upon a dude's blog a while back that chronicled his visit to a North Korean amusement park.  It didn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would, though apparently the Great Successor toured the park and gave the management a rare public ass-chewing over some of the rides not working.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

Is this a spoof or actual reporting? I dont know the site.

And that video is such a karaoke video....
██████
██████
██████