What is the most evil corporation in the world?

Started by Martinus, July 11, 2012, 10:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Google.

I mean they aren't all THAT evil, but they are evil, and they get bonus points for having the gall to have their unofficial motto of "Don't be evil".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 10:13:52 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Google.

I mean they aren't all THAT evil, but they are evil, and they get bonus points for having the gall to have their unofficial motto of "Don't be evil".
:huh: Elaborate

Barrister

Well their entire business model is based on stealing the content of everyone else on the web and then putting their own advertising on top of it.

Maximus

The Larch

Nobody mentioned Haliburton yet?

Excellent...

Razgovory

I'm amused by all the gene-modified food alarmists.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on July 12, 2012, 10:28:07 AM
Well that's certainly one way to spin it.

Am I wrong?

Google generates virtually no content (some small exceptions - Google Maps / Street View is google-generated), yet sells billions of dollars of advertising for linking to other people's content.

Admiral Yi

Beeb: that sounds more like a description of HuffPo. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 10:39:28 AM

Am I wrong?

Google generates virtually no content (some small exceptions - Google Maps / Street View is google-generated), yet sells billions of dollars of advertising for linking to other people's content.

Yeah, it's like a delivery company.  I never considered UPS evil because the stuff they give me isn't actually from them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2012, 10:57:37 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 10:39:28 AM

Am I wrong?

Yeah, it's like a delivery company.  I never considered UPS evil because the stuff they give me isn't actually from them.

That's a Marti-esque bad analogy.

The problem isn't that google "dlivers" content to you - it's that they don't pay the content creators anything, yet profit by selling ads.

MadImmortalMan

I second Google. Facebook is trying, but they aren't quite as evil as Google yet.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 11:25:14 AM
The problem isn't that google "dlivers" content to you - it's that they don't pay the content creators anything, yet profit by selling ads.

Do they really?  I thought they just gave you a link with the first couple lines of an article.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 12, 2012, 11:30:38 AM

Do they really?  I thought they just gave you a link with the first couple lines of an article.

Yes, that's exactly what they do.  And it's enormously profitable for them.

garbon

That's a Marti-esque bad analogy.

I don't know - from old business models, companies like Google would be charging content creators to have their content listed for other's to find (think telephone book). Instead, the content creators basically get free advertising and the only payment is that they let Google make a little profit off of them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2012, 11:38:49 AM
Yes, that's exactly what they do.  And it's enormously profitable for them.

As well it should be, it's an amazing search engine.

But who the hell types in "Romney Baptizes Famous Dead Jew" into Google, gets a bunch of links about Romney baptizing dead Jews and stops there?  Presumably they want to read an article on it.  So they click a link and the content provider gets a hit and their own ad exposure.