Scranton cuts public employee salary to minimum wage including police and fire

Started by jimmy olsen, July 08, 2012, 05:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2012, 08:50:36 AM
Well that's useful...

No shit.  Really can't tell what the fuck is going on up there anymore without a mining helmet and field compass.

DGuller

I think it's a reasonable course of action.  Bankruptcies are ruinous, it makes sense to make laws to prohibit them.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2012, 10:05:21 AM
I think it's a reasonable course of action.  Bankruptcies are ruinous, it makes sense to make laws to prohibit them.

What is a city supposed to do if it has no money, can't borrow any but has enormous debts? Pay its workers minimum wage?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

:lol:

It's worked for me!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

Quote from: KRonn on July 10, 2012, 09:05:52 PM
The Chinese will help expedite GM or any company that wants to open up a factory. They don't have much paperwork, beuracracy and enviromental issues to deal with. Often just the local government officials can ok a project, get things moving real fast. That's what I've heard of how it often works there.
Acquiring a business license can take you years in China. The company I work for wanted to open a joint-venture for years but never got the appropriate licenses for it despite political support at the highest level.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on July 11, 2012, 01:44:33 PM
The Chinese will help expedite GM or any company that wants to open up a factory. They don't have much paperwork, beuracracy and enviromental issues to deal with. Often just the local government officials can ok a project, get things moving real fast. That's what I've heard of how it often works there.
Acquiring a business license can take you years in China. The company I work for wanted to open a joint-venture for years but never got the appropriate licenses for it despite political support at the highest level.
One of the dangers of over-regulation is that anti-corruption law really limit your flexibility to give bribes to officials, even in foreign countries.  The irony is that heavy regulations make companies want to leave for China, but they also make it hard to set up shop in China.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Zanza on July 11, 2012, 01:44:33 PM

That's why you just outsource production to an existing company there. They've got everything already set up. The relationships, the supply chains, the subcontract partners, everything.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

I'm still trying to wrap around the the fact that Dayton didn't implode during the recession. With their shitty city council and the previous mayor being a Milk Dud that was elected, they have managed to run a 5 million surplus under their new mayor.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2012, 10:14:00 AM

What is a city supposed to do if it has no money, can't borrow any but has enormous debts? Pay its workers minimum wage?

Doesn't need them anyway.

"Obama wants to hire more government workers. He says we need more fireman, more policeman, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It's time for us to cut back on government and help the American people."
--Your boy Mittens

OttoVonBismarck

It's worth noting previous SCOTUS rulings have actually said local governments can (with tons of assumptions about relevant State law and etc) simply unilaterally break a contract in times of emergency. Not that Scranton would qualify under the previous rulings, but generally in certain circumstances governments can actually refuse to honor a contract.

dps

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 11, 2012, 04:53:50 PM
It's worth noting previous SCOTUS rulings have actually said local governments can (with tons of assumptions about relevant State law and etc) simply unilaterally break a contract in times of emergency. Not that Scranton would qualify under the previous rulings, but generally in certain circumstances governments can actually refuse to honor a contract.

In addition, there's the whole issue of the mayor doing this unilaterally, though that's more a question of what powers Pennsylvania law and the city's charter give to the mayor.

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2012, 03:43:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2012, 10:14:00 AM

Doesn't need them anyway.

"Obama wants to hire more government workers. He says we need more fireman, more policeman, more teachers. Did he not get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It's time for us to cut back on government and help the American people."
--Your boy Mittens
It's not the number of public sector workers, it's how the public sector system works, seems to me.  At least in some areas, for some unions, not all of them. System is broken, needs big reform.  Too many areas are messed up, too expensive to afford now. Fix some of that and things like gutting the number of workers in tough times shouldn't have to be as drastic.