Scranton cuts public employee salary to minimum wage including police and fire

Started by jimmy olsen, July 08, 2012, 05:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

That's just fucking crazy

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/scranton-s-police-fire-dpw-unions-file-lawsuit-against-salary-cuts-1.1338006

Scranton's police, fire, DPW unions file lawsuit against salary cuts
By Jim Lockwood (Staff Writer)

Scranton's police, fire and Department of Public Works unions Monday filed a lawsuit to overturn Mayor Chris Doherty's unilateral slashing of their salaries to minimum wage.

The unions - International Association of Firefighters Local 60, the Fraternal Order of Police E.B. Jermyn Lodge 2 and the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local Lodge 2305 - are seeking an injunction against the mayor to prohibit him from cutting pay to the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour.

Read the lawsuit HERE

The unions each have separate contracts with the city, the mayor cannot unilaterally slash pay outside the bounds of contracts and without any negotiations, and his decision is legally unfounded, according to the lawsuit filed in Lackawanna County Court by the unions' attorney, Thomas Jennings of Philadelphia.

Mr. Doherty responded, "What am I going to pay them with? We don't have the money."

DPW leader Sam Vitris said of the lawsuit, "It's not something we take pleasure in, but it's something we have to do. We're hoping the mayor and city council resolve this as quickly as possibly, ASAP. None of us want to go through with this, but it's just that you can't unilaterally lower wages without entering into any negotiations."

On Wednesday, the mayor dropped a bombshell by announcing he would unilaterally cut the pay of 398 city workers, including himself, to minimum wage indefinitely due to the city's cash-crunch crisis.

The city is fast running out of money, the mayor said, and unpaid bills, particularly health care coverage, are mounting. By paying only minimum wages, starting with the next payday on Friday, the payroll that is paid every two weeks would drop from up to $1.2 million to $300,000, leaving the remaining $700,000 in deferred wages to pay bills, Mr. Doherty had said. Once the crisis is over, employees would be paid the deferred pay, he has said.

The mayor and council have been at odds over updating an Act 47 recovery plan that Mr. Doherty said is required by banks before they would again provide financing to the city. Mr. Doherty's plan proposes a 78 percent property tax hike over the next three years, but the council has refused to pass it and want the mayor to reduce taxes with alternative sources of revenue. The mayor says council's proposals for alternative revenues won't raise enough money and will not raise money quickly.

"We're communicating with council, so we've just got to keep working at this," Mr. Doherty said.

The earliest the unions' lawsuit would be taken up in court likely would be Thursday in motions court, when hearing dates are typically set. The unions are hoping for an immediate injunction Thursday to prevent the minimum wages from taking effect this week, though they acknowledge such swift court action is probably unlikely.

While paydays are every other Friday, payroll funds usually are transmitted from the city the Wednesday before a payday. Because Wednesday is a holiday, the payroll funds would have to be transmitted no later than Thursday for employees to be paid Friday, Mr. Vitris said.

"We expect that this isn't going to be taken care of by Friday," Mr. Vitris said. "We're not optimistic at all" that the mayor's decision on minimum wage decision could be reversed this week, in time to have full, regular paychecks.

The lawsuit also claims the unilateral action violates state Act 111 and other labor laws. The suit claims that if the pay cuts stand, they would have a "devastating immediate impact" on workers by creating their inability to feed their families or maintain any semblance of a decent standard of living; pay medical bills and other expenses; pay for child care in some cases, particularly for single parents, thus making it impossible for them to work; and pay mortgages, loans and other bills that would destroy their credit ratings.

"There are people that are going to be hurting because of this" pay cut, Mr. Vitris said. "We hope it doesn't go on too long."

Contact the writer: [email protected]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

garbon

Glad to see that everyone is on board for the city to keep paying out money it doesn't have.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Scary idea. Sad that it comes to such last minute, extreme measures. Too bad they could never have made some changes and reforms when times were good, so hopefully finances wouldn't have come to such a bad point to where they even consider this type of pay cut.

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe suit claims that if the pay cuts stand, they would have a "devastating immediate impact" on workers by creating their inability to feed their families or maintain any semblance of a decent standard of living; pay medical bills and other expenses; pay for child care in some cases, particularly for single parents, thus making it impossible for them to work; and pay mortgages, loans and other bills that would destroy their credit ratings.

Glad to see they realize that minimum wage sucks.  Maybe they'll reconsider their feelings with the ballot the next time those damned dirty hippie Democrats try to dare raise it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2012, 06:15:52 PM
Glad to see that everyone is on board for the city to keep paying out money it doesn't have.

Right after Hansy, you're straight forward out of central casting.  Too fucking funny.

Admiral Yi

I guess no one else noticed that they're deferring the salaries, not reducing them.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2012, 07:09:41 PM
I guess no one else noticed that they're deferring the salaries, not reducing them.
Will that help them pay their bills in the meantime?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2012, 06:15:52 PM
Borrow the money or lay the workers off.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Yeah, that's still a breach.

I bet property values and hence property tax receipts and hence total income won't be affected at all when three-quarters of the police and firepersons abandon this cesspool of a city for better horizons, i.e. places that can afford basic services.

But invective aside, what I find interesting is something about unpaid bills?  Why are salaries, which as far as the city is concerned really just bills, deferred but not outside third parties?  Oh, right, because fuck workers, fuck unions, fuck decency, send your city into a death spiral of austerity, but don't dare fuck with institutional creditors who don't even fucking live there, because they're like fucking gods.  It's Germany and the EU, writ small.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2012, 07:19:43 PM
Will that help them pay their bills in the meantime?

Good point Timmy.  Those city workers were probably living paycheck to paycheck before this.  :lol:

Faeelin

Can't municipalities file bankruptcy? If it lacks money and can't pay bills, isn't that what it should be doing?

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on July 08, 2012, 07:34:26 PM

Yeah, that's still a breach.

I bet property values and hence property tax receipts and hence total income won't be affected at all when three-quarters of the police and firepersons abandon this cesspool of a city for better horizons, i.e. places that can afford basic services.

But invective aside, what I find interesting is something about unpaid bills?  Why are salaries, which as far as the city is concerned really just bills, deferred but not outside third parties?  Oh, right, because fuck workers, fuck unions, fuck decency, send your city into a death spiral of austerity, but don't dare fuck with institutional creditors who don't even fucking live there, because they're like fucking gods.  It's Germany and the EU, writ small.
Not quite.  In the EU, certain countries on the Med are worthless scam-artist scum that aren't really a part of the community.

Still, the city's revenues are bound to increase if 300 more mortgages get foreclosed on.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

If it's not stopped by an injunction, it would be interesting to see how many officers and firefighters report to roll call at $7.30 an hour.  At that wage, might as well call in sick.

chipwich