News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Regulation + corruption == not-so-free-market

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, July 09, 2012, 09:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

QuoteDC City Council "Uber Amendment" Would Force Sedans To Charge 5x Minimum Taxi Prices (Kill UberX)

Uber cannot catch a break in Washington, DC. The city taxi commission tried to shut the private car service down last January over rule violations that it wasn't actually committing. Now the local government is taking another shot, considering a legislative amendment tomorrow that would force sedan car services like Uber to charge at least five times the minimum cost of cabs.

To be clear, the overall legislation is great, in that it forces taxi companies to start taking credit card payments and using GPS. But the amendment part does not even bother to hide its intentions.

The section's name is literally "Uber Amendments," and comes with a layman's explanation that "[t]hese requirements would ensure that sedan service is a premium class of service with a substantially higher cost that does not directly compete with or undercut taxicab service." (I've obtained the full amendment from Uber, and you can check it out below.)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Oh yay, NYC is expected to have cab fares rise by 17%!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Those million dollar medallions don't come cheap.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2012, 09:59:56 AM

Just makes me more likely to stick to public transport.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2012, 10:13:06 AM

:x This just made me less likely to stick to public transport.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2012, 10:16:43 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2012, 10:13:06 AM

:x This just made me less likely to stick to public transport.

:yeah:

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2012, 09:49:55 AM
That is a huge hike, especially with gas prices going down or staying about the same.
PDH!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 11, 2012, 11:00:37 AM
That is a huge hike, especially with gas prices going down or staying about the same.

Actually I've revised my opinion. I've taken a few cabs as of late and they are actually pretty cheap right now.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2012, 06:47:28 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 11, 2012, 11:00:37 AM

Actually I've revised my opinion. I've taken a few cabs as of late and they are actually pretty cheap right now.
Yays!
PDH!