News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Looking for an old game...

Started by Alexandru H., July 08, 2012, 05:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

Ok, can't remember the name but I do remember:

You were a young man, exploring caves and different towns in search for certain magical gems. In the town there were a few useful buildings, like inns, shops... the caves were maze-like. The view was 2d, left and right. It was quite a hard game due to the caves, very convulted. It was an early-90s game.

Yeah, I don't remember much about it.

szmik

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Alexandru H.

Don't quote me on this but I seem to recall that the name of the game was Z.... something...

Razgovory

Hmmm some adventure game from the late 1980's early 1990's that involved lots of stupid caves and started with a "Z"

Sorry, can't help you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alexandru H.

It's a side scroller, dungeon crawler, platform, 2D, action adventure... Looked for it in numerous internet lists, couldn't find it...

Other detail: Some parts of the caves were icy and very unstable to walk on. You had to have some special shoes that reduced the sliding.

How many "Legend of Zelda" 2d platform clones could be? :(

Barrister

Maybe an Ultima / Ultima Dungeons / Worlds of Ultima game?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

szmik

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Alexandru H.

Theoretically you could have gone back from the last town to the first one, the game was linear.

Each town had a bank and your account would be the same in each one.

It was mostly black and white (well, grey in many instances)... but don't quote me on this (actually I think it wasn't as colourful as other games... very grey tones)

In the beginning, you would leave from the king's castle, in which he would inform you about your quest. The castle was part of the first town.

The end-bosses were tough. You would battle one and when he would die, he would leave a gem behind. You'd go to collect it and when you got close, the gem would appear at the top of your sword, the screen would go black and the gem would become part of some sort of necklace... I seem to recall the need to have 7 gems by the end of the game.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 09, 2012, 09:40:30 PM
Mid-80's though.

Man, we played the shit out of Phantasie II.  Had sleepovers and played until our eyes were dreary, and could cook on the C64.  :lol:

Darth Wagtaros

Sounds like Eye of the Beholder.
PDH!

PDH

I know what you are thinking of, it had that stuff that you did, right?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Game that had some icy caves where you collect gems describes half the games from that era. You are going to have to give us a little more then that.  For instance, was it a PC game?  Did you carry a sword or a gun, or nothing.  What kind of enemies did you fight?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Alexandru H.

YESSSSSSSSSS! Thank you, Raz!!!!