News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cell Phone Usage ?

Started by mongers, July 06, 2012, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 07, 2012, 04:19:05 AM
It does piss me off that people use texts for what should be phone conversations, though.  Like many of my emotionally broken generation, I prefer endowing my fun/bullshit conversations with the distance of the written form (and I'm smarter and funnier in writing anyway, as those who have met me may attest), but for some reason people want to do logistic conversations via 20 texts instead of one three-minute phone call.  Fucking baffling.

When it gets tedious, sometimes I just start dialing and fuck with them.

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2012, 01:21:44 AM
How much time do you spend using a cell phone ?= Zero when not at work. very little when at work.

And how does that compare with the typical usage around you ? =  :lmfao:I get funny looks when I say I dont own a cellphone.

the two pedestrians were both glued to their phone screens.= Laws are slowly coming into play on this one.

one female car driver was driving one-handedly whilst talking on her cellphone. =Great PC for a stop.

another female was both talking into her mobile and smoking, so had one hand tenuously holding the steering wheel, whilst driving up the arse of another slower car.= see above

Another female driver past me whilst intently staring at where her knee would be, I'm guessing she was probably texting whilst driving. :bleeding:= see two above.

I saw three other cars all of whom occupants appeared to be driving normally.= matter of time.

Is this pattern normal, or are people increasingly becoming wedded to their mobiles even when out and about and doing other things that might require some concentration ?= Yes, it is the decline of face to face interpersonal skills. It's so easy to be rude to someone when there not standing in front of you. My goal is to be the last adult in a first world country to not own a personal, tumor causing  :tinfoil: cellphone.

For the record, I only use cellphones as mobile phone booths, I doubt I could tell you 'my' current number.   :blush:= Why would you? Do you call yourself all the time??? :P

Indeed.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2012, 01:29:30 AM
BTW My other half's two teenage daughters racked up a little over 11,000...yes 11,000 texts between them, in the first month they had those fucking things.

:bleeding:

But that isn't especially unusual behaviour for a lot of teenagers. I just don't understand the mental/social landscape that degree of contact creates.  :hmm:

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on July 07, 2012, 09:20:27 AM
BTW My other half's two teenage daughters racked up a little over 11,000...yes 11,000 texts between them, in the first month they had those fucking things.

But that isn't especially unusual behaviour for a lot of teenagers. I just don't understand the mental/social landscape that degree of contact creates.  :hmm:

I cant either. I'm coming close to throwing their phones in the woods.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

I just don't understand the mental/social landscape that degree of contact creates.  :hmm:

We're simply going back in time, to roughly the same level of horseback messenger and the telegraph.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2012, 12:32:38 PM
I just don't understand the mental/social landscape that degree of contact creates.  :hmm:

We're simply going back in time, to roughly the same level of horseback messenger and the telegraph.
Except everyone has their own, and there's no cool 'stop'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

I punctuate my texts with security padding.  GG SHOWED UP AT EIGHT WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU RR THE WORLD WONDERS
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2012, 10:17:52 AM

Are we now officially grumpy old men ? :unsure:

CountDeMoney

I only bought the iHipster to have a 2nd phone number for job applications, so I could actually leave the house from time to time.   :lol:  In this market, you don't want to be the one they can't reach.  :ph34r:

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on July 07, 2012, 06:17:52 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2012, 10:17:52 AM

Are we now officially grumpy old men ? :unsure:

Yes

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".