Alternative Zombie Apocalypse Scenarios

Started by Syt, May 09, 2009, 07:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Currently reading World War Z which got me thinking - zombie apocalypse usually takes place, more or less, in the here and now.

But what about other points in history?

Three moments could be especially interesting:

Spanish Flu 1918. Most of the world is in shambles or focused on winning the war. The spanish Flu, combined with chemical agents, mutates into a zombie virus, striking first the trenches, then the hinterlands.

The Black Death, 1340s. Instead of the "normal" Black Death the dead return and start preying on the living. Europe, Middle East and Asia fall into a new dark age while the American cultures are left "unblemished" for now.

Barbarian invasions, 395+ AD. The Barbarians are on the move to flee the spread of the zombie plague and bring it to the Roman Empire.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

1918 could be cool. Zombie WW1 is cooler than all that Zombie Nazis crap.

1492 - Euros discover the New World. Only the New World has been zombified. As our intrepid conquistadors penetrate into the ghost cities and collect gold objects lying around something stirs in the shadows...

1840s America - Abolitionists suddenly face a new question: should the Zombies be freed as well?

1630s Germany - Protestantism is saved by the unstoppable armies of Gustavus Adolphus. Or make that shambling hordes... 
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on May 09, 2009, 07:16:33 AM
1492 - Euros discover the New World. Only the New World has been zombified. As our intrepid conquistadors penetrate into the ghost cities and collect gold objects lying around something stirs in the shadows...

... and bring the taint back home. :shifty:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

The only way I could ever see a zombie apocolypse working is in combination with a 'proper' disease. 1918 would indeed be good.
██████
██████
██████

Strix

Quote from: Tyr on May 09, 2009, 07:48:16 AM
The only way I could ever see a zombie apocolypse working is in combination with a 'proper' disease. 1918 would indeed be good.

The New World scenario would work with the 'proper' disease being small pox. The premise being that something about how the small pox effects the natives causes them to die and change into zombies. It would allow the writers to have that better technology, advanced civilization, and greed results in 'paradise lost' sort of vibe.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

DisturbedPervert

The most likely zombie scenario would have been if Jesus had been contagious.

Strix

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 09, 2009, 08:19:18 AM
The most likely zombie scenario would have been if Jesus had been contagious.

Or Martin Luther!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

I Killed Kenny

I think that a zombie invation in the middle ages would not be very cool, because we had Castles. And you would just need to close the doors and fire some arrows.

The Brain

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on May 09, 2009, 08:29:50 AM
I think that a zombie invation in the middle ages would not be very cool, because we had Castles. And you would just need to close the doors and fire some arrows.

-Are all men from the future loud-mouthed braggarts?

-Nope. Just me, baby. Just me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on May 09, 2009, 08:38:24 AM

-Are all men from the future loud-mouthed braggarts?

-Nope. Just me, baby. Just me.

:D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

But the cities and countryside would still be ravaged.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2009, 09:12:57 AM

Wouldn't it be difficult for the zombies to infect armored knights?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2009, 07:08:00 AM
Currently reading World War Z which got me thinking - zombie apocalypse usually takes place, more or less, in the here and now.

You need to think of other stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2009, 07:08:00 AM

Cool book, I'll combine it with The Ten Thousand I finished yesterday. When Xenophon and Tisaphernes(sp) both have a new enemy right after the battle of Cunaxa when all the dead from both sides stand up. Or maybe wait for the greeks to reach the mountain zombie/kurds.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

I Killed Kenny

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2009, 09:12:57 AM

The majority of the cities in the middle ages had castles (were inside of castles) and I don't think you would have enough people in the countryside to make a big enough horde to destroy Europe, or anything like that.