News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you pass a British citizenship test?

Started by Martinus, July 05, 2012, 06:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valdemar on July 05, 2012, 07:55:21 AM
The poles aren't bright enough to know it, hence he googled, hence he needs to justify it - obviously  :P

nah, I'll stop.. one poluted thread must be enough.. I briefly considered going rounds making remarks on his intelligence in all the threads.. but really I do not have THAT much free time on my hands... nor the patience, it would be the works of sisyphos..

V

Leave insults to the professionals.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

:(

I made stupid errors. Also, what the hell North Ireland isn't part of Great Britain? That's fucking misleading for a country that has a billion different name.

Next they are going to tell me Zeland isn't part of Holland.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valdemar

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2012, 08:14:51 AM

I thought it was if not obvious, then at least logical, that he could/would have used google to get the answers...

But I bow to the master..

teach me sensei

V

garbon

Quote from: Valdemar on July 05, 2012, 08:20:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2012, 08:14:51 AM

I thought it was if not obvious, then at least logical, that he could/would have used google to get the answers...

But I bow to the master..

teach me sensei

V

We're mainly a board of history geeks - so doesn't really seem applicable even with your target.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I really need to brush up on my Prime Ministers.  :blush:

Brazen

11/15, not bad since I'm a self-confessed ignoramus.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on July 05, 2012, 08:32:16 AM
11/15, not bad since I'm a self-confessed ignoramus.

That's bad, girl...I got a 10, and I don't even fucking live there.

PDH

I got 13, but I missed the ones about bad teeth and soccer hooligans.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 05, 2012, 08:18:25 AM
Next they are going to tell me Zeland isn't part of Holland.

:lol:

13 out of 15 here.  The Northern Ireland thing got me as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Personally, I think the test was culturally biased against Languishites, as it didn't have any cool stuff about the English, like Wellington, WW2 or the history of 18th century Royal Navy bureaucracy.

FunkMonk

I got 11/15.

I got the Walpole question right. Thanks Simon Schama!  :showoff:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Brazen

It helps to remember that United Kingdom is short for "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

alfred russel

I got 12--there were a few that seemed questionable to be in the test. I got the one about the black plague correct, but given the range of estimates and the inaccuracy involved in the demography of the era, 25% and 33% seem to be within the margin of error of each other.

I missed the GB one, the first prime minister one (was this also iffy--that isn't a formal office, right?), and the carpenter question (which I'm not sure about, either).

In the US for this sort of test, we give the test takers the pool of questions and the answers. I think there are only about 100 in the pool, so you have to be really special to speak english and not pass. Obviously you can just memorize answers without any understanding of government and history. Do they do the same thing in the UK, or is this a real test?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on July 05, 2012, 08:51:04 AM
and the carpenter question (which I'm not sure about, either).

I just remember watching all those shitty reenactments from the History Channel with the mud huts and thatched roofs, so that's why I got it correct.

Cecil

13/15. I dinged the welsh law question and the carpenter question.