News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you pass a British citizenship test?

Started by Martinus, July 05, 2012, 06:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Viking

1 - the English Law in Wales question was actually hard.
2 - The Great Britain question was misleading
3 - The Walpole question was wrong. Walpole was never Prime Minister, he acted like later people who called themselves Prime Minster, but he did not hold that title and never considered himself one. It was particularly annoying since the first man to call himself Prime Minister was included as an option in the poll.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

I failed the Great Britain one, the carpenters one (idiotic question for that kind of test btw), and the English law in Wales one.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2012, 07:30:17 AM
I failed the Great Britain one, the carpenters one (idiotic question for that kind of test btw), and the English law in Wales one.

I'm sad to say the same.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valdemar

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valdemar

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2012, 07:42:03 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on July 05, 2012, 07:39:51 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2012, 06:43:02 AM
History questions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/quiz/2012/jul/05/uk-citizenship-test?fb=native

I got 12 right so passed.  :lol:

to which the obvious question is.. how do you justify your google search?

V

What's obvious about that question?

The poles aren't bright enough to know it, hence he googled, hence he needs to justify it - obviously  :P

nah, I'll stop.. one poluted thread must be enough.. I briefly considered going rounds making remarks on his intelligence in all the threads.. but really I do not have THAT much free time on my hands... nor the patience, it would be the works of sisyphos..

V

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Valdemar on July 05, 2012, 07:55:21 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2012, 07:42:03 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on July 05, 2012, 07:39:51 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2012, 06:43:02 AM
History questions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/quiz/2012/jul/05/uk-citizenship-test?fb=native

I got 12 right so passed.  :lol:

to which the obvious question is.. how do you justify your google search?

V

What's obvious about that question?

The poles aren't bright enough to know it, hence he googled, hence he needs to justify it - obviously  :P

nah, I'll stop.. one poluted thread must be enough.. I briefly considered going rounds making remarks on his intelligence in all the threads.. but really I do not have THAT much free time on my hands... nor the patience, it would be the works of sisyphos..

V

Pro tip: if you want to make someone look stupid, it's not a good idea to attempt doing it by making incoherent posts. Or perhaps it's your multiple sclerosis acting up or something?

Valdemar

jimmy olsen

14 Correct!

Got the Welsh question as wrong as possible.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

13 out of 15 with some calculated guesses and a wrong where I actually knew the answer.

Martinus

Quote from: Valdemar on July 05, 2012, 08:01:41 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2012, 07:57:54 AM

What google search?

Are you really that dense?  :unsure:

read my reply to Garbon

V

I guess I am - I have no idea what you are talking about in both of these posts.