News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No Higgs boson update? Shame on you Timmeh!

Started by Brazen, July 05, 2012, 04:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

The Higgs boson walks into a Catholic church, and the priest asks "What are you doing here?" The Higgs boson replies, "You can't have mass without me!"

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on July 05, 2012, 04:38:37 AM
The Higgs boson walks into a Catholic church, and the priest asks "What are you doing here?" The Higgs boson replies, "You can't have mass without me!"

:lol:

I just started a thread about it but will repost:

I have been reading about the Higgs boson and the postulated Higgs field a bit and that stuff sounds like magic/mysticism - or a lot of cooky theories, like ether or "morphic fields" etc. 

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Of course the book describing the Higgs Boson was originally to be titled "The Goddamn Particle", but the publisher decided to remove "damn" from the title, giving the whole thing a ridiculous religious component.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

I heard it was supposed to be called the hod particle as it carried mass.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on July 05, 2012, 05:06:06 AM

The Hodor particle?  :hmm:

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Martinus on July 05, 2012, 05:24:08 AM
Quote from: Brazen on July 05, 2012, 05:06:06 AM

The Hodor particle?  :hmm:

he carries mass too

Martinus

Grey Fox

You know what I find annoying?

Posting the exact same thing on facebook & languish.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 05, 2012, 07:18:17 AM
You know what I find annoying?

Posting the exact same thing on facebook & languish.

Stop being snarky.

KRonn

How hard could it be to find one? I bet the scientists are looking too hard, and the damn thing is right in front of them. I'm sure I must have seen a few of these Boson critters just in my garden.   ;)

CountDeMoney

Isn't the Higgs bosun the guy that drove the landing draft to the beaches in D-Day?

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2012, 01:06:13 PM
Isn't the Higgs bosun the guy that drove the landing draft to the beaches in D-Day?
Hehe, good one! A real war hero!!

DontSayBanana

I've shamelessly been lifting that from your FB update all day. Many titters have been received. :D
Experience bij!

BVN

Quote from: Syt on July 05, 2012, 04:59:23 AM
Of course the book describing the Higgs Boson was originally to be titled "The Goddamn Particle", but the publisher decided to remove "damn" from the title, giving the whole thing a ridiculous religious component.

That book came much later. The original theory was first described in 1964 by two belgians, François Englert and Robert Brout, and a month later by the Brit Peter Higgs.

The book you refer to, was written in 1993 by Lederman.