Chris Christie on His Weight: 'If It Were Easy, I'd Already Have It Fixed'

Started by garbon, July 03, 2012, 09:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: merithyn on July 05, 2012, 11:10:01 AM
[The point is that your assertion that people just running 5 miles a day, every day, would fix all weight problems is ridiculous.

It certainly would be if I had ever made it. I was just disagreeing with you that the vast majority of people don't have the time or the ability to run 5 mile. I think nearly everyone does have the time and most have the ability to do so.

CountDeMoney

Meri's tits get in the way.  Those blue ribbon winners aren't aerodynamic enough.  Too much drag.

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 04, 2012, 04:36:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 04, 2012, 12:20:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2012, 12:17:10 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 04, 2012, 11:08:17 AM
Yeah, I don't see there ever being a time when being accustomed to eating just the right amount of food means one no longer needs self-discipline not to consume a little bit more...

I was talking about physical activity.  If one is active enough the intake side doesnt matter as much.
I don't think that's really true.  The intake side dominates the expenditure side heavily.  You can't burn nearly as many calories by being active as you gain by overeating, unless you're an Olympic swimmer training for London 2012.  It's pretty easy to stay thin as long as you have a healthy relationship towards food (which most American do not for a number of reasons).

I've posted this before to a variety of responses, but I disagree--I've never met an obese person that ran five miles a day (say 25 miles a week, with off days). It isn't just the calories you burn, but also that tub of KFC doesn't look as appetizing when you know you will pay for it the next day.

That's because people who work out are far more likely to be health-aware in general (and thus monitor their food), not because exercise is better than dieting to control weight.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

I've gone through several periods where I was exercising 5-10 hours a week and losing nothing. Exercise makes you hungry.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Ah well, he's overweight, but that's not the story. He's done a lot of good for New Jersey's financial situation. Good going, we need more like him.

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on July 05, 2012, 11:29:18 AM
That's because people who work out are far more likely to be health-aware in general (and thus monitor their food), not because exercise is better than dieting to control weight.

It is anecdotal, but I don't really watch what I eat for purposes of health. If I am traveling and won't be running for a week, I'll eat at McDonalds or half a pizza, etc. But I certainly am not going to eat those types of food or consume some massive feast before I go for a run--the run would be miserable. Similarly, I love steak, but my experience is it is a bit harder to digest: my meat consumption shifts towards chicken away from red meat.

At least for me, it is a question of dieting vs. exercise. Exercise makes the most pleasurable diet I can have a reasonable one.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2012, 11:19:44 AM
Meri's tits get in the way.  Those blue ribbon winners aren't aerodynamic enough.  Too much drag.

:blush:

Tis true, I'm afraid. These 36Ds weren't made to flop around like that. :mellow:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on July 05, 2012, 11:45:07 AM
Ah well, he's overweight, but that's not the story. He's done a lot of good for New Jersey's financial situation. Good going, we need more like him.
Maybe.  Christie gives off a Guiliani vibe to me.  On some level he's very competent, but all the attention-whoring and despotic impulses over time can create a dysfunctional government that would make a lot of bad decisions.

Valmy

Tell me what donuts Governor Christie eats and I shall send a case of them to all the governors.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2012, 12:14:08 PM
Tell me what donuts Governor Christie eats and I shall send a case of them to all the governors.

Hehe, yes sir Mr. Lincoln!!    ;)

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on July 05, 2012, 12:10:15 PM
Quote from: KRonn on July 05, 2012, 11:45:07 AM
Maybe.  Christie gives off a Guiliani vibe to me.  On some level he's very competent, but all the attention-whoring and despotic impulses over time can create a dysfunctional government that would make a lot of bad decisions.

He's an East Coast Republican.  Maybe that's the way they are.  Bigger market for your antics then Bumfuck, Mississippi.  I admit, I kinda like the guy.  Some showboating is required for the job, and can even make it a bit more fun (Obama does little showboating and I find him dull).  I wonder if he would have a chance in a Republican Primary.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Gups on July 05, 2012, 10:55:26 AM
The expected period is 9 weeks. That's 5km, but if you can do 5km you can do 5 miles.

That's sound.  And if you can do 5 miles you can do 5 parsecs.  WHY NOT THEY'RE THE SAME NUMBER
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on July 05, 2012, 08:50:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 05, 2012, 12:14:08 PM

Hehe, yes sir Mr. Lincoln!!    ;)

:hug:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Malthus on July 05, 2012, 11:29:18 AM

Probably true in some cases.

Not always though. In my case higher caloric requirements of my body due to regular exercise allow me to maintain weight without restricting intake in any way.