Why did no one try to convert Ireland to Protestantism?

Started by Faeelin, July 03, 2012, 07:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

A question, inspired by a nationalist Irish coworker.

Why was there never an attempt by England to force the Irish to convert to Anglicism (Irishism? A Church of Ireland?) You had the Ulster plantations, but those weren't quite the same thing; that was an attempt at settlement, not an attempt to break Irish culture.

Or was there an attempt, and it was just so unsuccessful that there's no trace of it today?

DGuller

England didn't have any missionaries, its innovative slider was too high.

Scipio

The Ulster Plantation was about it.  Cromwell pretty much ruined the chance of conversion, anyway.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I thought that the entire Orangist movement was about it, no? The fact is that where missionary activity is closely correlated with imperialistic colonisation/occupation, it is rarely effective, as the local church is seen / acts as a supporter of local nationalism as well. This is the same reason why Poland never really managed to convert Ukraine (or, during the brief sojourn there, Russia) to Catholicism, while itself staying Catholic during being partitioned between three powers, out of which only one was Catholic, and the other two were Orthodox and Protestant, respectively.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Viking

Cause nobody cared. The "natives" were illiterate, irrelevant and subjugated. There were substantial numbers of protestant Irishmen and to the whole world as well as the Irish elites the natives were merely wallowing in backward Catholicism and once improved they would convert to civilized religion. Their Catholicism was just as relevant as any Englishman's Catholicism - it was a social, economic and political stigma. The great Irish revolts were usually led and organized by Presbyterians rather than Catholics (viz Wolf Tone). It's not until the Romantic Nationalism of the 1800's and the Emancipation Debates in England that Catholicism becomes associated with Irish Nationalism.

In short English tolerance (their innovative slider) which didn't much differentiate between an English Catholic (to be despised and ignored as much as possible) and an Irish Catholic.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

I'll have more when I get home from work. But a Church of Ireland was established (in all senses of the word) and oddly enough a number od great nationalists, like Yeats, came from it.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 03, 2012, 09:03:42 AM
I'll have more when I get home from work. But a Church of Ireland was established (in all senses of the word) and oddly enough a number od great nationalists, like Yeats, came from it.

Yep.  Here's the brief wiki article I mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reformation_in_Ireland
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Are there any examples of attempts by Protestants to convert Catholics, or vice versa?

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2012, 01:58:33 PM
Are there any examples of attempts by Protestants to convert Catholics, or vice versa?

Elaborate.

Neil

Because not even the Christian god wants the Irish.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.