GlaxoSmithKline Pleads Guilty To Illegal Drug Marketing; Fined $3 Billion

Started by jimmy olsen, July 02, 2012, 09:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2012, 12:23:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 10:08:31 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2012, 09:58:47 AM
Who gives a fuck.  Somebody needs to be held accountable. and sometimes they need to be prosecuted.

It is very relevant. Doesn't seem fair to convict someone of a crime they didn't commit. :huh:

Well, now that they paid their speeding ticket, we don't have to worry about anybody going to jail now for anything, now do we?

Your comments in this thread didn't seem to be about just this case.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 03, 2012, 12:10:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 11:58:59 AM
Trusting? This isn't a trust issue here but more of a - really do I actually think that most doctors out there want to harm their patients? (Even if that harm just comes in the form of benign neglect and poor treatment plans.)  Of course the news is replete with stories of doctors that got kickbacks and prescribed things they shouldn't have - that's what is exciting and "newsworthy".  That says next to nothing about the actual incidence of "evil" docs.

Besides, I'm not saying that one than slavish follows the orders of one's doctor. Hell, shopping around is an important part of the process.

I'm not suggesting doctors are out to deliberately harm their patients- what I'm saying is that in a perfect world, a doctor's primary focus would be the patient's best interest, and they would defer judgment on prescribing for other than the approved use.  In practice, at least a small amount of doctors have shown an "it couldn't hurt" attitude reinforced by drug reps egging them on and offering perks.

Not sure why this is particularly relevant then if there are a small amount of doctors who are unethical.  Nothing is ever ideal, so I'm not sure why that means we should treat healthcare providers as evil.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 03, 2012, 12:16:18 PM
Yes, actually.  When we're talking ultra-massive distribution of international household names like Wellbutrin or Avandia, so much of the company's going to be tied up in marketing that specific product that to believe the CEO isn't going to be looking over marketing's shoulder is, at best, naive.

We're not talking about a niche vaccine that's only being distributed to one affected area in isolation, where the team's just going to get a marketing plan rubber-stamped by the marketing department.

I think it is a bit unfair to assume that the CEO is going to oversee all marketing/sales efforts. And especially given the no-no that is promoting off label usage, it seems a bit of a stretch to think that a CEO would approve such a plan.

Grey Fox

But he's the CEO, if he's not responsible for that, what is he there for? Delegation doesn't free you of responsability.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 03, 2012, 01:18:35 PM
But he's the CEO, if he's not responsible for that, what is he there for? Delegation doesn't free you of responsability.

The president doesn't go to jail every time the government is caught doing criminal shit. He has to get blowjobs for that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2012, 01:21:18 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 03, 2012, 01:18:35 PM

The president doesn't go to jail every time the government is caught doing criminal shit. He has to get blowjobs for that.

Maybe he should  :hmm: However criminal & civil laws aren't the same thing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 03, 2012, 11:35:09 AM
*shrugs* I'm a little paranoid;
There are pills for that.  Well, they're for something else, but insurance will cover it anyway.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 03, 2012, 01:30:45 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 03, 2012, 11:35:09 AM
*shrugs* I'm a little paranoid;
There are pills for that.  Well, they're for something else, but insurance will cover it anyway.

He can't afford a doctor.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2012, 01:21:18 PM

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2012, 11:55:29 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 02, 2012, 11:41:41 PM
What's wrong with Wellbutrin?

While it's a common intro drug - it can also have some jarring side effects...especially the withdrawal!

Wellbutrin picked my ass up off the ground.  I'm maxed out on it, and the only side effect for me was dry mouth in the beginning.

Withdrawing from Celexa, however, was miserable.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 03, 2012, 05:55:03 PM
Wellbutrin picked my ass up off the ground.  I'm maxed out on it, and the only side effect for me was dry mouth in the beginning.

Withdrawing from Celexa, however, was miserable.

I tapped in real quick to Wellbutrin's side effect of increased agitation. The littlest things pissed me off for hours on end. When coming off it - and I think I only took it about a month - I had awful headaches/spells of dizziness.

I don't really recall much in the way of withdrawal from Lexapro, which I demanded over Celexa. :D

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 12:53:54 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 03, 2012, 12:16:18 PM
Yes, actually.  When we're talking ultra-massive distribution of international household names like Wellbutrin or Avandia, so much of the company's going to be tied up in marketing that specific product that to believe the CEO isn't going to be looking over marketing's shoulder is, at best, naive.

We're not talking about a niche vaccine that's only being distributed to one affected area in isolation, where the team's just going to get a marketing plan rubber-stamped by the marketing department.

I think it is a bit unfair to assume that the CEO is going to oversee all marketing/sales efforts. And especially given the no-no that is promoting off label usage, it seems a bit of a stretch to think that a CEO would approve such a plan.

Okay, then perhaps we should just arrest people in marketing.  Or Marketing Research or whatever.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2012, 08:41:07 PM
Okay, then perhaps we should just arrest people in marketing.  Or Marketing Research or whatever.

Maybe, I mean said marketers and sales personnel are the ones knowingly breaking the law. You'd probably be hard pressed to attribute such to a market researcher unless I guess they prepared a research report that advocated adopting the promotion of off-label uses.

dps

Got a question about this part:
QuotePaxil was illegally promoted to patients under 18 when the drug wasn't approved for this age group

Now, my understanding was that once the FDA approves a drug, doctors aren't restricted to prescribing it for a certain purpose or to a certain group of patients.  For example, a few years ago when the FDA was being asked to approve Thalidomine as a medicine to help people undergoing chemo or radiation therapy from being constantly nauseated, there were fears that if it were approved, some doctors would stupidly prescribe it to pregnant women to combat morning sickness (which was what it was originally developed to do).  So if doctors could legally prescribe Paxil to patients under 18 (even if it wasn't specifically approved for them) what's the problem?

garbon

Quote from: dps on July 03, 2012, 09:13:51 PM
Got a question about this part:
QuotePaxil was illegally promoted to patients under 18 when the drug wasn't approved for this age group

Now, my understanding was that once the FDA approves a drug, doctors aren't restricted to prescribing it for a certain purpose or to a certain group of patients.  For example, a few years ago when the FDA was being asked to approve Thalidomine as a medicine to help people undergoing chemo or radiation therapy from being constantly nauseated, there were fears that if it were approved, some doctors would stupidly prescribe it to pregnant women to combat morning sickness (which was what it was originally developed to do).  So if doctors could legally prescribe Paxil to patients under 18 (even if it wasn't specifically approved for them) what's the problem?

Issue is the promotion by GSK for use in patients under 18. Drug companies can only market to the indications that the FDA has approved not simply whatever patients the drug company might think it appropriate for.  If the FDA doesn't grant you a juvenile indication then you can't go out and tell doctors to prescribe it for their patients under 18.  Doctors, of course, are totally still able to do so, they just can't receive information about doing so from big pharma.