GlaxoSmithKline Pleads Guilty To Illegal Drug Marketing; Fined $3 Billion

Started by jimmy olsen, July 02, 2012, 09:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 01:39:36 AM
The thread title is quite misleading, considering it was the marketing that was illegal, not the drugs.

:mellow:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2012, 01:10:17 AM

More prosecution, less Mickey Mouse fines with waivers from civil and criminal liability. 
Since when is $3,000,000,000 a Mickey Mouse fine!?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 03, 2012, 01:59:12 AM

More prosecution, less Mickey Mouse fines with waivers from civil and criminal liability. 
Since when is $3,000,000,000 a Mickey Mouse fine!?  :huh:

Well, it's less than 10% of their 2011 revenues (which is the kind of fines you pay in normal antitrust investigations which do not carry a civil or criminal immunity with them) so it's not exorbitant. And obviously it will be felt mainly by the shareholders since it's going to eat up almost the entire distributable dividend for 2011, the employees and executives having already received their pay and bonuses.

Ideologue

Pharmaceutical companies are like fucking angels sent from heaven to help you benighted souls, and ease your suffering.

This has nothing to do with the fact that my livelihood comes indirectly from a pharmaceutical company, and frankly I'm shocked that you'd make such an ad hominem attack.  For shame.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

garbon

At least the FDA is a government agency, answerable to elected officials, who also happen to be answerable to us.

Yes and we seem to love electing and re-electing corrupt ones. (see: Rangel, Charles)

That's the only way the private sector, from Wellbutrin to Wall Street, will ever learn to Do The Right Thing.  The private sector will never willingly do it, institutional morality forever cockblocked by greed, so the only credible alternative is government regulation combined with the very real threat of going to Federal Pound Me In The Ass Prison.

I've more faith in getting the goods and services I need from private enterprise than Capitol Hill. 

Also I wonder at a multinational like GSK if the CEO personally approves all marketing/sales efforts for every brand.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 01:54:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2012, 01:48:48 AM
The thread title is quite misleading, considering it was the marketing that was illegal, not the drugs.

What?

Stop parsing the sentence the way that you are reading it.

You see: Illegal Drug Marketing
We see: Illegal Drug Marketing
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 08:47:37 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 01:54:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2012, 01:48:48 AM

What?

Stop parsing the sentence the way that you are reading it.

We see: Illegal Drug Marketing

I think it can be legitimately read both ways, especially if you consider that several people made jokes/comments implying they read it (whether in jest or seriously) my way. The way I see it, news headlines should avoid ambiguity.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 09:52:25 AM
The way I see it, news headlines should avoid ambiguity.

Good thing no one cares how you see it. :)

Syt

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 08:47:37 AMStop parsing the sentence the way that you are reading it.

I like to think the newspaper would have phrased that "Marketing of Illegal Drugs"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 08:46:18 AM
At least the FDA is a government agency, answerable to elected officials, who also happen to be answerable to us.

Yes and we seem to love electing and re-electing corrupt ones. (see: Rangel, Charles)

Representative democracy, Susie.  It's what's for dinner.

QuoteI've more faith in getting the goods and services I need from private enterprise than Capitol Hill.

Yeah, because private enterprise always has your best interests in mind.  Sucker.

QuoteAlso I wonder at a multinational like GSK if the CEO personally approves all marketing/sales efforts for every brand.

Who gives a fuck.  Somebody needs to be held accountable. and sometimes they need to be prosecuted.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 03, 2012, 09:58:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 08:47:37 AMStop parsing the sentence the way that you are reading it.

I like to think the newspaper would have phrased that "Marketing of Illegal Drugs"

I guess I don't hold ValueWalk to the same standards as you. Looks like essentially an internet blog with articles by many non-native speakers.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2012, 09:58:47 AM
Representative democracy, Susie.  It's what's for dinner.

So then you can see why I've little faith in the gov't or the FDA in these matters...and the thought that we have little control over them.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2012, 09:58:47 AMYeah, because private enterprise always has your best interests in mind.  Sucker.

Thankfully my physician does the prescribing, not the pharma company. Not so bad if my doc has more information than less.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2012, 09:58:47 AM
Who gives a fuck.  Somebody needs to be held accountable. and sometimes they need to be prosecuted.

It is very relevant. Doesn't seem fair to convict someone of a crime they didn't commit. :huh:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2012, 10:08:31 AM
Thankfully my physician does the prescribing, not the pharma company. Not so bad if my doc has more information than less.

:rolleyes: Corporations are teh evol, docs are teh wholesome and altruistic.  Sure.

Remember Pfizer getting busted for this?  Remember how much fallout there was from doctors that lost their medical licenses over improperly prescribing based on the perks they were getting from their drug reps?

You go to the doctor.  He submits claims to your insurer, who are going to find any and every reason they can not to pay and stick the doctor with a tab on you that may or may not get settled when it goes to collections.  The same doctor gets all kinds of comps from his drug reps; whose interests do you think the doc is going to favor?
Experience bij!