News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Could a person really ride a bipedal animal?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 02, 2012, 04:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

You see in a lot fantasy art people riding bipedal animals like dinosaurs and giant birds. Wouldn't there be balance issues that would make that impossible to do on a long term basis? Certainly among the birds I would think, though the counterweight dinosaurs have in the form of their tails may make it possible. What do you guys think?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

People ride ostriches, and guess piggy back rides count too. Also, weird question. In a imaginary land of Dino riders, balancing is what hits you as illogical? :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on July 02, 2012, 04:24:53 AM
People ride ostriches, and guess piggy back rides count too. Also, weird question. In a imaginary land of Dino riders, balancing is what hits you as illogical? :D
Could you ride an ostrich 20 miles a day? Doubtful. I said long term basis for a reason. The animal in question has to be as useful as a horse, or at least a donkey.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

20 miles a day? Probably not. But that's more due to size and endurance, not a structural fault. Put a man on a pony and he wint go far either. Taking your giant birds and Dino's at face value endurance wouldn't be an issue.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Brazen

Parents carry kids on their backs for hours at a time, no reason the same shouldn't apply to other animals with a similar size ratio. Soldiers carry 87-127lbs of gear around with them on patrol day after day without balance problems.

Ideologue

I'm not sure a T-rex is capable of marching 20 miles a day in the first place.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2012, 07:15:05 AM
With those long strides?

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Smartass.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2012, 07:19:02 AM
With those long strides?

With that six-ton body.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Ed Anger

You can ride Hilary Swank at the petting zoo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.