Calling Languish parents: Why did you decide to have children?

Started by Martinus, July 02, 2012, 04:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Here is how the middle class is eroding. Now suburban white kids are behaving like poor bastard minorities. :(

As for the OP: I welcome people who decide not to have children.

However, the main issue is the "why" they are doing it. You might decide on never marrying and never fathering children so as to better devote yourself in the service of others. You love humanity.
Others may not want to have children because they see them as "parasites". Their view is unloving and flies in the face of the various actors that contributed to the survival and growth of a child so as to develop it into a contributing adult of good health and character.

Thus, whether or not to have children should first be a choice of love in both cases.

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on July 03, 2012, 04:42:08 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 03, 2012, 11:08:37 AM
Too bad, otherwise I never would have guessed you started the thread to discuss Kantian philosophy.

In this case, it was a Kant of worms.

:D

I Kant take it any more.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on July 03, 2012, 03:55:36 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 03, 2012, 02:56:30 PM
Instead, we must search for some alternative rationale, such as that arguing that the restored Martinus would live a worth life of dignity and meaning.  Given the contestability of that premise, however, poor Martinus might be left in an unfortunately precarious position . . .
:pinch: I love how Minsky can land a crushing kick to the nuts, and look refined and sophisticated throughout the procedure. :wub:

Just keep away from the underneath of his desk.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on July 03, 2012, 05:00:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 03, 2012, 04:54:19 PM
I Kant take it any more.

I Kant-ache it or leave it.

I don't know whether to Hume-r you two or do something to stop it before mods are forced to Locke the thread.
On the one hand, tis not Christian to cry Wolff; on the other hand, this is getting Paineful.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Calvin all just get along? Or is it too far to Spinoza a religious reformer as a philosopher?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 11:51:18 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 03, 2012, 11:49:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 11:35:16 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 03, 2012, 11:29:09 AM
Mart, have you ever asked your parents why they had you?

This is a cheap shot and a typical response in discussions like this. Rather lame.

I see how the question may seem facetious, but it was meant earnestly. Why would you quiz people on the interwebs, not all of which you have met, but not your own parents?

Your question already contains its own answer - I'm making sure my question is devoid of any emotional element by the virtue of it being asked to people with whom I share hardly any emotional connection with (or none at all). :)

There's a huge fallacy there.  The answers given by people who have children will have a lot of emotional elements, even if the question was asked anonymously (thus ruling out any emotional reaction to you on the part of those answering).

Jacob

There's an even bigger fallacy - the assumption that even if the emotional component to the answer could be filtered out, that it should be filtered out.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 03, 2012, 05:16:27 PM
I don't know whether to Hume-r you two or do something to stop it before mods are forced to Locke the thread.
On the one hand, tis not Christian to cry Wolff; on the other hand, this is getting Paineful.

Puns are, indeed, a Mills tome around our neck; each feels like a Newton of bricks.  Rue! Reap what Roussaeu.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

:cheers: @ grumbler  :lol:

Abelard pressed to follow that, but we won't let that Boethus.

katmai

As much as i hate all of you and your stupid puns, still an improvement to this thread.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on July 03, 2012, 07:09:43 PM
As much as i hate all of you and your stupid puns, still an improvement to this thread.

A pile of turds would improve it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Unfortunately, we don't have a pile of turds, so we'll have to make do with puns.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive