Demographic Expansion in Post-Norman Britain

Started by Queequeg, July 02, 2012, 12:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

A CK2 game as Gwenydd and one as Brittany lead to some readings on the Norman Conquest. Most of what I am reading makes the Anglo-Saxon model of land management and government sound at least as efficent as the Norman model, and it sounds like the actual population transfer was miniscule.  Yet, somehow, the English population skyrocketted before the Plague.

Why? Was this mostly during the Angevin period later on? The natural result of the first period of stable English borders and minimal inter-English (or Romano-Cumbric) conflict for the first time since the Romans? Was this demographic expansion true of all of the British Isles? Sone areas more affected than others?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Didn't the population rise in all of Europe?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on July 02, 2012, 12:28:57 AM
A CK2 game as Gwenydd and one as Brittany lead to some readings on the Norman Conquest. Most of what I am reading makes the Anglo-Saxon model of land management and government sound at least as efficent as the Norman model, and it sounds like the actual population transfer was miniscule.  Yet, somehow, the English population skyrocketted before the Plague.

Why? Was this mostly during the Angevin period later on? The natural result of the first period of stable English borders and minimal inter-English (or Romano-Cumbric) conflict for the first time since the Romans? Was this demographic expansion true of all of the British Isles? Some areas more affected than others?
This was due to innovations in agricultural technology and technique and occured all over western and central Europe.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Less piracy and vikings and more general wealth in the few hundred years after 1066 than the few hundred years before too.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

My understanding was that this was a general phenomenon throughout Europe, the low-point being back in 600 or so, the high-point actually arriving a couple of decades before the advent of the Black Death as the limits of medieval agriculture were reached. Very poor statistics in those days of course, which probably hide a lot of local variation.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.