News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mac adapters.

Started by Razgovory, June 30, 2012, 12:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Well my brother moved in and he has a mac book that he can't use because the adapter to is broken.  The wire to what I think is called a "T-connector" is frayed and torn.  I was going to get him a new one.  I had tried this before, but I don't know anything about Apple crap and was wary to buy.  Before he could still use his roomates stuff, so it wasn't a problem.

I have the old adapter here and would like to buy a replacement online.  Unfortunately I still don't know shit about Apple stuff.  I look on Amazon (can't find anything on Newegg), and there are several adapters that look like what I'm suppose to buy but reviews claim they are fake.  I don't want to buy a fake one but don't know enough to tell.  I don't know even know how this one works. 

It is labeled "Apple 85w portable power adapter Designed in California assembled in China  Model No: A1172"

There is some other smaller labels like "ADP-90UB C V85" I think this is a French designation.

One one side it has the logo "Safety Mark", which I think is the power cord.

Input 100-240V 1.5A 50-60 Hz ( at least know what these specifications mean, though not in relation to other Apple parts)

I may have made a thread on this when I tried to buy him one last time.  But today is a new day.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

So this is a power adaptor?

Why not just go to an Apple Store?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on June 30, 2012, 04:02:39 PM
So this is a power adaptor?

Why not just go to an Apple Store?

Cause I'm in Rats Ass, Missouri?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grey Fox

Road Trip to KC or St-Louis :w00t:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I'd really rather just order it online.  You know, like I can with ordinary computer hardware.  I mean, the PC I'm using right now came in a dozen different boxes from Newegg.  I was just hopping to find this thing and find it fairly cheap.

Grey Fox

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC556LL/B

There is no such thing as cheap with Apple products.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2012, 09:32:11 PM
I'd really rather just order it online.  You know, like I can with ordinary computer hardware.  I mean, the PC I'm using right now came in a dozen different boxes from Newegg.  I was just hopping to find this thing and find it fairly cheap.

You know Raz it took me 5 seconds to type "magsafe power adaptor for macbook" into google.

www.macsales.com/magsafe

I've ordered RAM from these guys before and had absolutely no issues with it.  You recognize though that since Apple uses a proprietary magnetic connector for its power adaptor you do need to get an Apple-branded adaptor.  But the link I just gave you does give some refurbished adaptors at half price off of new.

Razgovory

Why is it the cheap ones I see on Amazon people decry as fake.  I don't want to waste my money here.

szmik

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2012, 02:21:48 PM
Why is it the cheap ones I see on Amazon people decry as fake.  I don't want to waste my money here.
because they are cheap substitutes and Mac fanboys are getting mad if anyone buys them? ;)
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Razgovory

My younger brother almost threw his mac book today because of this adapter doesn't work.  This along with him quiting three jobs in one year and now not having a job and bumming off me is beginning to make me believe that he's not as bright as I thought he was.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on July 01, 2012, 01:12:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2012, 09:32:11 PM

You know Raz it took me 5 seconds to type "magsafe power adaptor for macbook" into google.

www.macsales.com/magsafe

I've ordered RAM from these guys before and had absolutely no issues with it.  You recognize though that since Apple uses a proprietary magnetic connector for its power adaptor you do need to get an Apple-branded adaptor.  But the link I just gave you does give some refurbished adaptors at half price off of new.

Ironically...

I sent my wife out to go see a movie.  She was going stir crazy in the house with the boys all the time.

Miracle of miracles, I get both of them down for a nap at the same time.  So I go to use my computer for a bit.

Dammit!  Won't start.  Notice my power light is flashing.  Hit google on the iPad, turns out the problem is bad RAM.  Much fussing and fiddling with my 6 sets of FB-DIMMS, and sure enough, I find a pair has gone bad.  Now, and hour later, I'm back on the King of Macs, and expect one of the boys to wake up in 3... 2.... 1...

And yes, its the RAM I told Raz I had no issues with.  But since I think it's about 2 years old I don't mind that badly.