And we're back!

Main Menu

Armstrong's luck running out?

Started by DGuller, June 29, 2012, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2013, 11:59:01 AM
The entire part I quoted.
Well it's all based on the USADA's report.

In fact forcing his more reluctant team-mates to dope is one of the allegations Armstrong hasn't confessed to yet. I wonder if the statute of limitations is different for that crime.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2013, 12:09:28 PM
Well it's all based on the USADA's report.

In fact forcing his more reluctant team-mates to dope is one of the allegations Armstrong hasn't confessed to yet. I wonder if the statute of limitations is different for that crime.

According to the USADA Armstrong "led the cycling world in doping?"  How so?  He wasn't the first to dope, and he wasn't using drugs that other cyclists weren't.

I've heard interviews with that rather attractive staff member that Armstrong told Oprah is not fat.  She claims that team members who couldn't compete up to a required level were fired, and the only way to compete at that level was to dope.  That's not exactly the same thing as saying Armstrong forced team members to  dope.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2013, 12:15:08 PM
According to the USADA Armstrong "led the cycling world in doping?"  How so?  He wasn't the first to dope, and he wasn't using drugs that other cyclists weren't.
He was using drugs and procedures that other cyclists weren't. Armstrong's team, and especially Dr Ferari, were always pioneers - the USADA report is full of Lance going for new techniques. According to the USADA report Armstrong's team were doping on a scale that was 'more extensive' than any other recorded.

Edit: So the teams Lance led were using techniques and drugs before anyone else and in new, more intensive ways. The other teams were normally trying to catch up, so some of them later became more common.

It's worth noting as well that Armstrong's triumph starts immediately after the worst scandals hit cycling (the Festina scandal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festina_affair ). The 1999 Tour, Lance's first victory, was the 'Tour of Redemption' and he was heavily doping. But what's striking is that Lance came after doping almost destroyed the sport, and what he was doing was far more extensive and innovative than anything from those investigations.

QuoteI've heard interviews with that rather attractive staff member that Armstrong told Oprah is not fat.  She claims that team members who couldn't compete up to a required level were fired, and the only way to compete at that level was to dope.  That's not exactly the same thing as saying Armstrong forced team members to  dope.
That's not how the USADA report phrase it. They say that in Armstrong's teams it was not enough to put in maximum effort, 'he also required that they adhere to the doping program outlined for them or be replaced'. There's numerous specific allegations that team members who were caught being non-compliant with the doping Armstrong required, or who complained about Ferari were told that complete compliance was necessary to ride on his team. And of course each team member was provided with their own doping program to follow.

Again doping was endemic within the sport (and I think Lance was probably doping during his comeback too) at that time but this wasn't about trying to create a 'level playing field' - they were all at it, doesn't actually work for Armstrong. His teams went way beyond that, he required doping regardless of ability - and checked on his doping team mates to make sure they were doping properly. The only way in his team was 'to get on the doping program fully'.

And all the while he threatened to destroy anyone who threatened to reveal the truth. If they did he'd sue them into penury. Then he'd use every opportunity to talk about 'miracles' :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

But if it made him happy it can't have been that bad?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

So I suppose the best thing to do is blind him with hot pokers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on January 19, 2013, 03:35:57 PM
So I suppose the best thing to do is blind him with hot pokers.
More or less.

The USADA report suggests he was doped during his Tour comeback - which he denies (everything he's admitted so far falls lightly out of the statute of limitation). That should be investigated. If he's guilty of that he should be put in prison. Everyone he sued and destroyed should get a significant chunk of his money. And he shouldn't be allowed to participate in any sort of official sport, a game of tiddlywinks is too good for him.

He especially deserves it while he's refusing to name names.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

People seem to be very upset with him now. It was known when he was winning those Tours that he was doped up to his eyeballs. But somehow then it was OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Heard a report last night saying he was gonna be on hook for close to $106million owed to various companies, the biggest amount was like $93 million to Floyd Landis?!?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Maladict

A Dutch cyclist confessed yesterday, another one today.
The media wil hunt down the rest until they've all gone down.

Liep

Only one cyclist left here from the 90's that hasn't confessed yet, Rolf Sørensen. Also the most winning of any Danish cyclist.

It has led to the saying "Rolf er ren (Rolf is clean)" becoming strangely popular.. t-shirts are being printed, banners are made, etc.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

PDH

Thank god this is over, we know that all the cyclists left are clean now.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on January 19, 2013, 08:00:55 PM
Thank god this is over, we know that all the cyclists left are clean now.

Well you and I are, just not on the outside?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: katmai on January 19, 2013, 04:35:05 PM
Heard a report last night saying he was gonna be on hook for close to $106million owed to various companies, the biggest amount was like $93 million to Floyd Landis?!?

IIRC Landis' suit is about defrauding money from the US public, as it was during the time the team was sponsored by the US postal service, not a direct settlement between both of them.

katmai

Quote from: The Larch on January 19, 2013, 08:16:07 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 19, 2013, 04:35:05 PM

IIRC Landis' suit is about defrauding money from the US public, as it was during the time the team was sponsored by the US postal service, not a direct settlement between both of them.

Yeah i heard it was amount he would receive under the federal Whistleblower laws or somesuch.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son