And we're back!

Main Menu

Armstrong's luck running out?

Started by DGuller, June 29, 2012, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maladict on January 18, 2013, 04:14:13 AM
I still don't get what he's trying to achieve.  :huh:

I suspect he is trying to get some sponsors back.  Most people are suckers for giving second chances and what better place to try to get that than in the Market Oprah caters to?

I heard one report that he only admitted to things for which that Statute of Limitations has already run - so probably a cold calculated attempt to rehabilitate his public persona without risk.

DGuller

Yeah, my bullshit alarms were going off the entire time.  It seems like he had a list of confessions his lawyers allowed him to make, and he stuck by it while trying to fake sincerity as much as he could.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2013, 01:22:10 PM
Quote from: Maladict on January 18, 2013, 04:14:13 AM
I still don't get what he's trying to achieve.  :huh:

I suspect he is trying to get some sponsors back.  Most people are suckers for giving second chances and what better place to try to get that than in the Market Oprah caters to?

I heard one report that he only admitted to things for which that Statute of Limitations has already run - so probably a cold calculated attempt to rehabilitate his public persona without risk.

Even he convinces me that he is truly sorry and actually a decent guy, then why should anyone care about him? Unless he wants credit for winning bike races, he is just joe blow.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

I don't care that Lance cheated, he beat his opponents on a level playing field since they were all doped up as well.

What I do mind is how he vindictively went out of his way to destroy the lives and businesses of people who told the truth about him cheating. For that he's a grade A douche bag, and coming clean on the cheating issue doesn't change that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2013, 02:17:54 PM
I don't care that Lance cheated, he beat his opponents on a level playing field since they were all doped up as well.
That's fair as far as it goes. But it ignores that Lance was leading the sport in doping. He was forcing his team members to dope and pushing it far more aggressively than any team (or team leader) had before. He wasn't on a level playing field and more than any other person was responsible for how widespread and intense the doping was at the sport during those seven years.

QuoteWhat I do mind is how he vindictively went out of his way to destroy the lives and businesses of people who told the truth about him cheating. For that he's a grade A douche bag, and coming clean on the cheating issue doesn't change that.
Agreed. He clarified today that he called one of his staff members crazy and a bitch, but he never called her fat. The most telling exchange to me is that he's not sure if he sued his masseuse or not, because I'm almost certain that the people he sued - and they were many - remember <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 18, 2013, 02:21:55 PM

Agreed. He clarified today that he called one of his staff members crazy and a bitch, but he never called her fat. The most telling exchange to me is that he's not sure if he sued his masseuse or not, because I'm almost certain that the people he sued - and they were many - remember <_<

Indeed, I found the interview rather self-serving, he's clearly a highly aggressive and manipulative person, that's what's 'wrong' with him and I don't see that changing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on January 18, 2013, 02:27:09 PM

Indeed, I found the interview rather self-serving, he's clearly a highly aggressive and manipulative person, that's what's 'wrong' with him and I don't see that changing.

:yes:

Of course, that's how he managed to be on top for so long. You have to be a self-serving, highly aggressive person in order to achieve the status he achieved. The manipulation was just a bonus.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

sbr

Doping is the least interesting thing about Armstrong.

Many people think he is trying to get reinstated by the anti-doping commission so he can do triathlons.  The federation that runs the triathlons is a signatory to the same anti-doping commission so they won't let anyone who is in their bad graces in.

Admiral Yi

That's fair as far as it goes. But it ignores that Lance was leading the sport in doping. He was forcing his team members to dope and pushing it far more aggressively than any team (or team leader) had before. He wasn't on a level playing field and more than any other person was responsible for how widespread and intense the doping was at the sport during those seven years.

Overegging the pudding Shelf?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

A well rehearsed confession. He strikes me as a high functioning sociopath.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Legbiter on January 19, 2013, 05:40:58 AM
A well rehearsed confession. He strikes me as a high functioning sociopath.

Ahhhyup.  There's about as much remorse in there as a serial killer's.

"Are you sorry?"
"Sure."

Neil

I wouldn't go that far.  I mean, he probably really doesn't think that he did anything wrong, but why would he when he was participating in a sport where the winner is decided by having the best drugs?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.