And we're back!

Main Menu

Armstrong's luck running out?

Started by DGuller, June 29, 2012, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on January 09, 2013, 01:53:18 PM
I agree with grumbles... Money, that shit was epic. :lol:

Well, once in a while, a topic gets me irked.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on January 09, 2013, 02:04:44 PM
While I agree it's a stupid sport and an even stupider tournament that boogles the mind to contemplate how popular it is, you can't go from "stupid euros, stop trying to take away from Armstrong by saying he dopes up, he passed all your test" to " haha our dopers beat your dopers". The whole thing on Armstrong for years was that he was a clean athlete kicking ass in a dirty sport. Plus you know, USA USA, and what not.

Meh, I think in that sport, there are dopers, and then there are dopers that don't get caught at the time.

As far as my Lance Love goes, I give Lance more credit for being able to cycle with one testicle without pulling to the left all the time than anything else.  That shit went to his brain. 
Doper or not, it takes balls to go through that bullshit, and compete at the level he did.  Or in Lance's case, a mega ball.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2013, 08:40:46 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 22, 2012, 04:27:31 PM
Berkut? Yi? derspiess? Hello?

Where are you guys? Hello....?

:mellow:  Read the thread.

Just now read Zoup's post.  Trying to figure out what I have to do with this thread, other than joining the chorus in praise of Seedy's post today.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on January 09, 2013, 03:52:16 PM
Just now read Zoup's post.  Trying to figure out what I have to do with this thread, other than joining the chorus in praise of Seedy's post today.

I interpreted it to mean where are all the guys who used to talk smack about Armstrong and bust the balls of the Euros who accused him of doping without proof.

Whether that describes you or not I don't know.  I know it described me, which is why I was all booyah in your face frogman for dishing out my mea culpa on page 1 of this thread.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2013, 04:37:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 09, 2013, 03:52:16 PM

I interpreted it to mean where are all the guys who used to talk smack about Armstrong and bust the balls of the Euros who accused him of doping without proof.

Whether that describes you or not I don't know.  I know it described me, which is why I was all booyah in your face frogman for dishing out my mea culpa on page 1 of this thread.

Yeah, but I sat that one out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

You guys all look sort of the same after a while.

DGuller

mongers

Nice to see the Tour's organisers are 'honouring' the British successes of 2012, the 2014 Tour starts in Yorkshire and includes a stage in London:

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2013/us/pre-race/news/ahc/yorkshire-2014-grand-depart-london-to-host-a-stage.html

Full details to be announced in a weeks time.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2013, 05:51:07 PM
Nice to see the Tour's organisers are 'honouring' the British successes of 2012, the 2014 Tour starts in Yorkshire and includes a stage in London:

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2013/us/pre-race/news/ahc/yorkshire-2014-grand-depart-london-to-host-a-stage.html

Wouldn't all the riders sink on the way to France?  Or are they making it a triathlon?

Ed Anger

I'd like to see Clarkson from Top Gear powerslide through the riders in a Bugatti.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on January 09, 2013, 05:55:36 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 09, 2013, 05:51:07 PM

Wouldn't all the riders sink on the way to France?  Or are they making it a triathlon?

You demonstrate why the Russians and Ukrainians never became significant, effective naval powers.  :bowler:

The Minsky Moment

I think there is a way to Americanize the "sport" and reduce the incentive to dope at the same time.
The solution is to set all heats to run through mid-town Manhattan at rush hour.  It would be the modern day equivalent of gladitorial blood sport.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 10, 2013, 12:30:14 PM
I think there is a way to Americanize the "sport" and reduce the incentive to dope at the same time.
The solution is to set all heats to run through mid-town Manhattan at rush hour.  It would be the modern day equivalent of gladitorial blood sport.

Not convinced, really city/metropolis ridering is nowhere near as dangerous as people think; there's about 3-4 roads I wouldn't cycle on in central London, probably several dozen around here and in my local conurbation. 
Having more aggressive drivers and less octogenarian and soccer mum drivers is an overall positive.

Seems the French authorities have gone another way and decided this years 100th anniversary tour is going to be an extended tourist advert for the best French landscape and tourist attractions. 
Which isn't such a bad idea, given the state of European economies.  :frog:

DGuller

I don't know.  NYC taxi drivers scare me shitless even when I'm in a car.  To be on a bike around those lunatics who drive highly aggressively, and at the same time can't drive, sounds a little dicey.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2013, 12:39:49 PM
Not convinced, really city/metropolis ridering is nowhere near as dangerous as people think; there's about 3-4 roads I wouldn't cycle on in central London, probably several dozen around here and in my local conurbation. 

See Guller above, the places you are talking about are not crammed with NYC cabbies
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson