Hungarian Anti-Semitic Deputy Admits Jewish Roots

Started by viper37, June 28, 2012, 09:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Wait wait...so somewhere on this planet there exists a self-loathing Jew?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Heh.

Almost with the same timing, the jewish organization in hungary, as part of an internal power struggle, unleashed (or try to unleash or whatever) the police on one of their leaders because he participated in religious rituals he wasnt supposed, because, as it turned out (omg the suspense!) his FATHER was jewish, not his mother.

JonasSalk

"I think that what counts is not to know who is a pure race Hungarian, the important thing is the way one behaves as a Hungarian," he said in an interview."

So...what do pure race Hungarians act like?
Yuman

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2012, 10:46:51 AM
Heh.

Almost with the same timing, the jewish organization in hungary, as part of an internal power struggle, unleashed (or try to unleash or whatever) the police on one of their leaders because he participated in religious rituals he wasnt supposed, because, as it turned out (omg the suspense!) his FATHER was jewish, not his mother.

Judaism is generally matrilinial. Though not all Jews follow this practice.

I dunno what rituals are involved - I presume the issue is whether the guy is Jewish or not. Unlike Nazis, membership in the tribe isn't determined merely by having a percentage ancestry - in most cases, either your mother has to be Jewish, or you have to convert.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on June 28, 2012, 12:43:29 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2012, 10:46:51 AM
Heh.

Judaism is generally matrilinial. Though not all Jews follow this practice.

I dunno what rituals are involved - I presume the issue is whether the guy is Jewish or not. Unlike Nazis, membership in the tribe isn't determined merely by having a percentage ancestry - in most cases, either your mother has to be Jewish, or you have to convert.

yes but it looks stupid, because being jew is officially a religion, not a race. Except in the attack of the nazis, of course.

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2012, 01:45:42 PM
yes but it looks stupid, because being jew is officially a religion, not a race. Except in the attack of the nazis, of course.

I dunno who sets what Judaism is "officially". To Jews, Judaism is more a tribal identity - neither simply a religion nor a race. For example, being an atheist doesn't make you 'not Jewish', so it isn't simply a religion; and you can convert TO Judaism, so it isn't racial. OTOH if you convert to another religion that is incompatible with Judaism you are no longer Jewish.

Think of it more like a big extented family. In many nations, you get your family identity patrilinially (that is, you have the name of your father). In Judaism, you get your Jewish identity matrilinially.

You can't think of Judaism like some species of Protestantism, or like being Black. It may be "officially a religion", and Nazi types may think it is a "race" (and so worry about having some Jewish grandparents or whatever), but it is really neither the one nor the other. It is best described as a tribal identity.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 28, 2012, 01:53:25 PM
I dunno who sets what Judaism is "officially".

:rolleyes:

Don't be coy.  We all know all the official rules are released by the Elders of Zion in their annual secret protocols report.

Seriously though there is no discussion of this sort of thing in the Talmud?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2012, 02:04:19 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 28, 2012, 01:53:25 PM
I dunno who sets what Judaism is "officially".

:rolleyes:

Don't be coy.  We all know all the official rules are released by the Elders of Zion in their annual secret protocols report.

Seriously though there is no discussion of this sort of thing in the Talmud?

What, the protocols? They aren't in the Talmud - they are secret.  :D

But yeah, there is plenty of discussion as to what constitutes a "Jew", and the rules are as I've laid out - you can be one by birth (most say, matrilinially, though for Reform it ain't necessarily so), or by conversion. The Rules(tm) state that a convert is just as Jewish as one born, and it is a serious breach of manners to treat one otherwise - but converting to Judaism is NOT encouraged.

Razgovory

Jews can't even agree on who is a Jew.  How is anyone else suppose to?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 02:13:37 PM

I consider only those who can prove blood descent from the Khazar Khan Bulan Sabriel to be true Jews.

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2012, 02:13:37 PM

I'll tell you a secret  - Jews don't agree on just about anything.  ;) Get two Jews together and they have three opinions, as the saying goes.

However, there is some commonality on the range of opinions. Jews more or less all agree that a non-religious Jew is still a Jew, and that Judaism is not a "race". Judaism is better described as a "tribe" or a "nation" (in the pre-modern sense).

This comes straight from the Torah. In Genesis 12, God promises to make of Abraham "a great nation". Jews consider themselves the descendants referred to.

Quote12 Now the Lord said to Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you.   And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing.  I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."