News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sears Tower no more

Started by Ender, March 12, 2009, 08:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ender

QuoteOne of the most iconic buildings in the world will soon have a new name. Sears Tower, at one point the tallest skyscraper on earth, will be known as Willis Tower starting this summer.

The Chicago Tribune reports that Willis Group Holdings, a London-based insurance broker, didn't have to pay anything for the name. After consolidating its area offices to the Tower, Willis was given naming rights to the 36-year-old skyscraper. It was a package deal, of sorts. According to the Tribune, Willis is hoping its newest venture increases the company's name recognition in the United States. Apparently, it's a big player across the pond, but few Yanks know anything about it.

Clearly the move is already having an effect in Search. Lookups on "willis tower," "sears tower," and "what is willis company" immediately soared into the stratosphere. But some wonder if native Chicagoans will play along with the name change. CNN quotes a local historian as saying that it will be hard for residents "to shift and start calling it (Sears Tower) something else."

Indeed, a message board on a Chicago station's website features many sarcastic and "Is nothing sacred?"-type remarks. One telling quote: "They can rename it whatever they want, the people who live here will always refer to it as The Sears Tower."

garbon

::)

Anyway, in the short term this might be a negative PR move for Willis.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grinning_Colossus

You made me turn on my television for nothing.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

DontSayBanana

Gary Coleman is not amused.
Experience bij!

Weatherman

Ender

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 12, 2009, 08:32:49 PM
You made me turn on my television for nothing.

Same here when I saw the link in Yahoo.com

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall