German court rules religious circumcision on boys an assault

Started by Zanza, June 27, 2012, 01:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2012, 01:29:15 PM
Both are outpatient procedures. But still, do you think that parents should be permitted to do minor religiously motivated elective cosmetic surgery on infants?

No one cries over piercing a little girl's ears. That seems the most similar procedure that takes place, and it's one that I doubt many would consider outlawing.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on June 27, 2012, 02:04:19 PM
Both are outpatient procedures. But still, do you think that parents should be permitted to do minor religiously motivated elective cosmetic surgery on infants?

No one cries over piercing a little girl's ears. That seems the most similar procedure that takes place, and it's one that I doubt many would consider outlawing.

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2012, 01:48:42 PM
As above. Making up shit isn't an argument. American Christians circumcise for religious reasons as well. You don't deal with my argument in any way you just make shit up.

Wait you get to make shit up and then we have to come up with with non-shit to refute it?  How is that fair? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Life isn't fair. Ask the guys who happened to be born in Bobbiton, USA.

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on June 27, 2012, 02:04:19 PM

But if it were done without the little girl's consent or if it were done to infant girls then we would be.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Body-piercing/Pages/Introduction.aspx

QuoteAge restrictions

There is no legal age restriction on most body piercings, however performing genital or nipple piercing on someone under the age of 16 could be considered an offence.

So, in England piercing it is illegal, but cutting it off is legal. When religion is left out of it Medical Ethics gets it right. It is just that in the case of circumcision religion is interfering with normal medical ethics.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2012, 02:14:05 PM
But if it were done without the little girl's consent or if it were done to infant girls then we would be.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Body-piercing/Pages/Introduction.aspx

QuoteAge restrictions

There is no legal age restriction on most body piercings, however performing genital or nipple piercing on someone under the age of 16 could be considered an offence.

So, in England piercing it is illegal, but cutting it off is legal. When religion is left out of it Medical Ethics gets it right. It is just that in the case of circumcision religion is interfering with normal medical ethics.

Actually, I meant her ears. The only requirement is that she have had her first round of shots, which happens usually around her two-month check-up. It's a cosmetic procedure that causes some pain and has the potential - however minor - to cause an infection, much like a circumcision. To my knowledge, no one has ever considered making it illegal, though, even if the child can't give permission.

By the way, your quote says that it "could" be considered an offense. Not quite the same as it is an offense.

The Brain

I've heard a crazy rumor that holes in ears can close if they don't see use.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2012, 02:14:05 PM

What a completely baseless position.  Medical Ethics does not have a spotless record.  This is the sort of bullshit I am talking about. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on June 27, 2012, 02:20:30 PM
I've heard a crazy rumor that holes in ears can close if they don't see use.

That rarely happens if the ears are pierced as infants, which is why a lot of parents do it then. Saves having to redo it later even if she chooses not to wear earrings for a long while. So, again, a permanent cosmetic procedure without the child's consent.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 27, 2012, 12:51:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2012, 12:36:43 PM
Do you support arresting pediatric othodontists, then?

Orthodontists are doing a service to their patients.

Few young children ask for cosmetic orthodontic work.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on June 27, 2012, 02:00:13 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 27, 2012, 10:39:48 AM
Maybe and I agree on your general point.  But I can't help thinking that cutting a child's genitals, especially given that it can affect their enjoyment of sex through their life is something the state can be legitimately concerned with

I have been with *mumble* men, only two of whom were not circumsized. All of them seemed to enjoy sex quite a bit. I'm fairly sure the number that it affects in that way is pretty small. Additionally, it's more likely to affect them if they are circumsized later in life than as infants. So, if that's a concern, it seems to be an argument for infancy circumcision rather than against it.
Foreskin sure makes it easier to masturbate, though, which is probably why it rubbed Americans the wrong way in the first place decades ago.

dps

Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2012, 01:48:42 PM
I have faced the facts - if this didn't involve religion PEOPLE WOULD LISTEN TO THE ADVICE OF THEIR DOCTOR!

Yep, and in America, most males are circumcised because their parents listened to the advice of their doctors--the vast majority of American parents have no religious reason to have their male infants circumcised, even if you mistakenly believe otherwise.

The Brain

American doctors suggest unnecessary procedures? SAY IT AIN'T SO

Valmy

Quote from: dps on June 27, 2012, 02:27:41 PM
Yep, and in America, most males are circumcised because their parents listened to the advice of their doctors--the vast majority of American parents have no religious reason to have their male infants circumcised, even if you mistakenly believe otherwise.

Eh he prefers to make up facts and then force us to disprove his fantasies.  We only live here what do we know?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2012, 02:24:58 PM
Few young children ask for cosmetic orthodontic work.

Unless they're a friend of Marty's, who really hates too much tooth action.