German court rules religious circumcision on boys an assault

Started by Zanza, June 27, 2012, 01:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2012, 11:50:47 AM
3 - If I invent a procedure which makes anal sex impossible, how is that different (as seen by South African Doctors) from male infant circumcision?

:hmm:

That's a gold-standard analogy, that is.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

katmai

Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2012, 12:39:07 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2012, 11:50:47 AM
3 - If I invent a procedure which makes anal sex impossible, how is that different (as seen by South African Doctors) from male infant circumcision?

:hmm:

That's a gold-standard analogy, that is.  :lol:

Pssst, we call them Martiesque around here.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Iormlund on June 27, 2012, 12:18:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 11:16:48 AM
Besides, why does a standard cosmetic procedure need justification?

Do you support giving girls breast implants then?

That is an invasive surgical procedure that requires the administration of general anesthesia within a surgical environment.
Circumcision is not.*

*Except in Marty's case, where a first date would involve an Exacto knife and a tube of Anbesol.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 27, 2012, 12:29:12 PM
I don't think it's important that I have the right to cut up a baby's penis for no medical reason. The German decision appears to be reasonable.

Actually you still can. You just can't do it for ostensibly religious reasons.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2012, 12:36:43 PM
Do you support arresting pediatric othodontists, then?

Orthodontists are doing a service to their patients.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 27, 2012, 12:51:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2012, 12:36:43 PM
Do you support arresting pediatric othodontists, then?

Orthodontists are doing a service to their patients.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  Not everyone actually benefits from orthodontic work that gets referred...at least not in the long term. Sure there are terrible cases like crooked teeth, or teeth in places where teeth shouldn't be...but for minor overbites and underbites - the lasting power without permanent use of a retainer is small.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 12:47:23 PM
I don't think it's important that I have the right to cut up a baby's penis for no medical reason. The German decision appears to be reasonable.

I've only read the article in the OP.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

The human mind has powerful defensive mechanisms in place to keep its owner from facing the fact that he was abused by his parents as a child. This is a strength, not a weakness. Though fairly hilarious to watch, as strengths go.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 27, 2012, 12:54:50 PM

But apparently you didn't even understand the first sentence. :console:

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 12:57:08 PM

Did you even read the last?

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 27, 2012, 12:58:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 12:57:08 PM

Did you even read the last?

Yes, I did...and there is no statement as to what counts a medical reason. :)

So sadly I'll concede your initial statement was correct though not the sentiment. -_-

Maximus

Appeal to tradition much? Other traditional mutilations, such as cutting out teeth, stretching necks and binding feet are discouraged in our society, especially when done without the consent of the individual. Even the pre-emptive removal of tonsils and appendices-- parts that don't seem to have much of a necessary function-- are frowned upon iirc.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on June 27, 2012, 01:06:13 PM
Appeal to tradition much? Other traditional mutilations, such as cutting out teeth, stretching necks and binding feet are discouraged in our society, especially when done without the consent of the individual. Even the pre-emptive removal of tonsils and appendices-- parts that don't seem to have much of a necessary function-- are frowned upon iirc.

Strawman much? I don't recall saying anything like that.  I believe I said it is a standard cosmetic procedure.  Not sure what any of those traditional mutilations have to do with what I said.