News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Channel Islands Threaten Independence

Started by Sheilbh, June 26, 2012, 02:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on June 27, 2012, 03:57:46 AM
It doesn't seem hypocritical.  It's lot easier to declare something is morally wrong than to get four hundred other fops in wigs to pass a law against it, and usually that's how such laws begin anyway.
The hypocritical bit is that lots of Tory donors and probably a fair few Lords will be taking advantage of these schemes that the PM's calling morally wrong.

The shaming without changing the law is just political posing of the most blatant sort.  And over here the PM could pass a law closing those loopholes in a day if he wanted.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on June 27, 2012, 04:23:13 AM
Really?  That's kind of amazing.
Not really.  There's committee stages and the like, but certainly in a week or two.  But I think tax changes would be an issue of confidence for the government as, they're connected to the budget.  If the government lost that vote they'd fall.

Whether the Tories and the Lib Dems could agree on how to close loopholes isn't clear - though it is in the coalition agreement.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 27, 2012, 04:19:15 AM
[The shaming without changing the law is just political posing of the most blatant sort.  And over here the PM could pass a law closing those loopholes in a day if he wanted.

I think you have a rather optimistic view on how long it takes to change any kind of law. 

And I think it is Parloament who passes law, not PMs.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on June 27, 2012, 04:31:48 AMAnd I think it is Parloament who passes law, not PMs.
True.  I was overstating, but having said that I thought a lot of tax law and especially anti-avoidance regulations were secondary legislation?
Let's bomb Russia!