Thousands of ultra-Orthodox protest in Jerusalem against new draft law

Started by jimmy olsen, June 26, 2012, 12:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Wow, can't believe I missed this. That's a pretty big change to Israeli society, and one long overdue.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/thousands-of-ultra-orthodox-protest-in-jerusalem-against-tal-law-replacement.premium-1.443703
QuoteThousands of ultra-Orthodox protest in Jerusalem against Tal Law replacement

The Tal Law, which exempts ultra-Orthodox yeshiva students from mandatory military service, was declared unconstitutional by the High Court in February, and is due to expire in August.

By Yair Ettinger   | Jun.25, 2012 | 7:49 AM | 5

Thousands of ultra-Orthodox gathered on Monday morning in Jerusalem's kikar Hashabbat (Sabbath Square) to protest the replacement to the Tal Law, that exempts ultra-Orthodox yeshiva students from mandatory military service.

The protest, under the banner "Prayer rally for the cancelation of the decree over civilian and military conscription," took place against a background of the Plesner Committee, which is working on a replacement for the Tal Law

The law, which the High Court of Justice declared unconstitutional in February, is to expire in August.

Hundreds of women also took part in the demonstration, and a side road in the Mea Shearim neighborhood was set aside for the purpose.

The protest was organized by the Edah HaChareidis faction, but rabbis from the central stream also took part, including Rabbi Shmuel Auerbach, one of the spiritual leaders of Degel HaTorah.

Auerbach said during the protest that, "We must give our lives against the drafting of yeshiva students [to the army]. In an issue that belongs to the heart of Israel, there are no compromises."

Pini Rosenberg, one of the speakers at the rally, said: "Instead of preparing the prisons for immigrants from Sudan, we suggest to those haters of religion to prepare 50 thousand places of detention for yeshiva students who will refuse to be drafted."

The Plesner Committee started working on a replacement for the Tal Law one month ago. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Crazy_Ivan80

don't they get lots  of money from the state to indulge in their wastrel studies?

Tamas

Yeah fucking freeloaders. Especially considering that if all the other citizens (women too!) wouldn't be drafted, these orthodox fuckheads would be the first put against the wall when the Muslims overrun them.

CountDeMoney

So what's the difference between "ultra-orthodox" and "orthodox", anyway?  Spandex suits with super powers?

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2012, 12:42:07 AM
Pini Rosenberg, one of the speakers at the rally, said: "Instead of preparing the prisons for immigrants from Sudan, we suggest to those haters of religion to prepare 50 thousand places of detention for yeshiva students who will refuse to be drafted."
Why not do both?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on June 26, 2012, 10:03:37 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2012, 12:42:07 AM
Why not do both?
As a guess it'd provide Islamic Jihad with a convenient target.
PDH!

Iormlund

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2012, 10:19:12 AM
They should be abolishing the draft, not the exemption.

I doubt that is a viable path in Israel. It's just too tiny and surrounded by enemies.

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2012, 10:19:12 AM
They should be abolishing the draft, not the exemption.
Why would they do that?  Abolishing the draft doesn't really work.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

I agree with the principle, but in practice it is probably a lot more trouble than it is worth.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2012, 10:00:27 AM
So what's the difference between "ultra-orthodox" and "orthodox", anyway?  Spandex suits with super powers?
It depends on which of the dozens of ultra-orthodox flavors you're comparing against which of the dozens of Orthodox flavors. :contract:

Sheilbh

I had my first Hassid or hipster moment in Sainsbury's yesterday.  I genuinely couldn't tell if his look was from religious devotion or fashion.  It was odd :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Iormlund on June 26, 2012, 10:56:25 AM
I doubt that is a viable path in Israel. It's just too tiny and surrounded by enemies.

Their words are backed by nuclear weapons.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2012, 12:32:28 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 26, 2012, 10:56:25 AM

Their words are backed by nuclear weapons.
That they can never use.