News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I decided to play minecraft again to see how much it has changed.
It lags like hell even on single player. :bleeding:
Fuck that shit.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

There's going to be a new and improved version for Windows 10.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Archy

Finished the Banner Saga.  It was very nice.  I'll play It again.  Final battle was rather easy though

Syt

Game marketing hint: if you want to get me interested in your puzzle game, don't use screenshots like this:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Out of boredom I'm doing a Crusader Kings 2 AAR.  IN AMERICA!  You will all see rise of the House of Raz and  the defeat of the Sioux!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on July 05, 2015, 11:56:18 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 02, 2015, 11:07:41 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2015, 03:25:31 PM
So, Legends of Eisenwald. Yay or nay?

If you buy it, let us know how it is. I was initially interested, but the Early Access reviews made it look medicore.

I bought it. It won't start. YMMV

After a few updates I am now able to launch the game. Will give more info if I find the time to play a little. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Blood Bowl II comes in September. I liked the first one, though in hindsight waiting for the last edition to come out would have been smarter - even though they gave hefty discounts for owners of the previous versions.

Anyways, the bullshit is already strong with this one. It starts with 8 races:
Humans, Orcs, Dwarfs, Skaven, Dark Elves, Chaos, Bretonnia, High Elves.

If you pre-order on PS4 you get the Lizardmen as bonus.
If you pre-order on XBone you get Wood Elves as bonus.
If you pre-order on Steam you can CHOOSE Lizardmen OR Wood Elves. Not both, because that would be silly and not force you to buy the other race as DLC.

For comparison:
BB1 started with 9 races IIRC.
Legendary Edition added 11 races, some new turfs, and owners of the original game got 50% off.
Chaos Edition only added a few races (3?), but you again got 50% off, so in total I think I paid 80 EUR over the course of 3 years, which is tolerable.

I would be surprised if new races for BB2 would cost less than 8 EUR, so bringing the total from the 10 at release (including the two pre-order races), to the 23 of the Chaos Edition would be an extra 104 EUR. (Even at 5 bucks it would still be 65 EUR.)

Yeah, I'll wait for the GOTY edition and keep playing the old version if I feel the itch.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

I have been owned so many times by "The Age of Decadence" (which looks really good), I am a bit tired of it.
Will try again, and post a short review.

Syt

I've toyed with it, but I want to wait for the proper release before going in again. Kind of how I wait for Divinity Original Sin's Enhanced Edition before playing it again.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

Short review, about 2 hours of gameplay:

"The Age of Decadence" is probably more for the RPG purists than me. Me, I like stuff like "Skyrim".
The setting is highly interesting. Kind of a post-Roman Empire world. When you start out, you will be weak, so spend those skill points wisely. Picking your class is of importance too.
Starting off in some lowly town on the edge of everything, there's a quest you can't skip. Which is fine. I've died numerous times during it.
Once you manage to survive, what you do is kind of up to you.

Is it worth playing? The sheer ambition behind it makes it worthwhile. We're talking a huge world here. The combat system is fairly old-fashioned and turn-based. A tad easier than say "Pillars of Eternity" and recognisable from "Dead State" (another game from the same developers).
Graphics are less impressive than GTA V's, but not bad in any sense.

Character development will be key to your ultimate success. I like this game, despite it being in Alpha still. The finished article should be really good.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2015, 11:36:02 PM
Blood Bowl II comes in September. I liked the first one, though in hindsight waiting for the last edition to come out would have been smarter - even though they gave hefty discounts for owners of the previous versions.

Anyways, the bullshit is already strong with this one. It starts with 8 races:
Humans, Orcs, Dwarfs, Skaven, Dark Elves, Chaos, Bretonnia, High Elves.

If you pre-order on PS4 you get the Lizardmen as bonus.
If you pre-order on XBone you get Wood Elves as bonus.
If you pre-order on Steam you can CHOOSE Lizardmen OR Wood Elves. Not both, because that would be silly and not force you to buy the other race as DLC.

For comparison:
BB1 started with 9 races IIRC.
Legendary Edition added 11 races, some new turfs, and owners of the original game got 50% off.
Chaos Edition only added a few races (3?), but you again got 50% off, so in total I think I paid 80 EUR over the course of 3 years, which is tolerable.

I would be surprised if new races for BB2 would cost less than 8 EUR, so bringing the total from the 10 at release (including the two pre-order races), to the 23 of the Chaos Edition would be an extra 104 EUR. (Even at 5 bucks it would still be 65 EUR.)

Yeah, I'll wait for the GOTY edition and keep playing the old version if I feel the itch.

Ugh.

There are so many reasons to do like you say and wait, and that has always been my stance: 

• I have already bought the first game three times (original, Legendary Edition, Chaos Edition) though they gave decent discounts to owners of the previous games.
  • They are going all the way back to 8 races, including a new made up one.
  • I have no interest in the graphics "improvements"
  • We as gamers should punish developers for the pre-order and mini-DLC bullshit, not go falling all over ourselves to get whatever scraps they give us for buying their shitty game before it is ready.
  • Cyanide's track record is atrocious as far as buggy releases and post-release support
  • It appears that BB2's rule set will not match the current/most recent accepted rule set.

However enough of the people I play BB with are talking about pre-ordering and starting up new leagues with BB2 that I am not just wavering but likely to pre-order.  :blush:

Syt

Playing some Final Fantasy 14. Still in the n00b areas, and the game doesn't exactly re-invent the genre, but it's fun enough. One thing I like is that if you want to change class you just change your weapon in hand (though you have to start from Level 1 in all classes, and there's three n00b cities for three classes each), and there's skills that you can learn in one class and use in another, and dual classes. That's a long ways away for me, though.

Anyways. I'm playing a Lancer (melee DPS), and thought, "those armor sets look pretty reasonable!"

Then I got my most recent upgrade for Leg and Foot armor (two items):

:rolleyes:
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Mind you, it got worse. These are all quest rewards (there seem to be no item loot drops so far, so items are either crafted or bought or earned as rewards).

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Though to be fair, I ran into a male lancer with the same gear and it looked the same. So no case of where the same armor looks like plate on a guy and like a bikini on a gal.

And a few quests later I'm back to more reasonable armor. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould