News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I was part of that debate. :)  I'm on the first page spelling words wrong.   I came to the conclusion that the developers are dipshits.  It was founded by two guys who were bitter over something back in the 1990's.  They still seem to be resentful about something that happened though I'm not sure what it was.  The result is they have this weird bunker mentality.  They don't let you mod their games, they only sell the games at absurd prices, they don't hire much in the way of staff so their products are often late and now they've started selling patches (a clear indicator that they are doing good business).  Pdox is a good counter example.  They make niche games and started out around the same time.  Pdox has become quite successful, while battlefront has managed to remain about the same size.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 09:49:33 AM
I was part of that debate. :)

From that thread: "Matrix problem is their outrageous pricing schemes [...]"
As opposed to BF? :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I also like the attitude of, "Combat Mission is so niche, it'll lever work on Steam!" Which is why Paradox, who were similarly niche, moved completely to Steam, because it was outselling all their other avenues, including their - formerly - own GamersGate, by a country mile.

(Bit of an unfortunate name for a store these days ...  :D )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

I'll still have my memories of the original Combat Mission games. Watching a soviet battalion  rout after taking light mortar fire warms my heart.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Scipio

My wife got me into a fun little puzzle game called Windosill. Cutesy little physics puzzler, for 2.99 on Steam.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Those with small kids might want to check "Monster loves you" on Steam. It's essentially a choose your own adventure picture book in which you take a monster from birth to (hopefully) old age or (if you don't score high enough) dissolution in the primordial ooze to be reborn. It's rather charming, but it has a fair amount of text, so a parent narrating would be helpful for little would be monsters.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226740/
—Stephen Jay Gould

MadImmortalMan

Kotaku is leaking that an announcement will be coming on Fallout 4 very soon.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 09:49:33 AM
I was part of that debate. :)  I'm on the first page spelling words wrong.   I came to the conclusion that the developers are dipshits.  It was founded by two guys who were bitter over something back in the 1990's.  They still seem to be resentful about something that happened though I'm not sure what it was.  The result is they have this weird bunker mentality.  They don't let you mod their games, they only sell the games at absurd prices, they don't hire much in the way of staff so their products are often late and now they've started selling patches (a clear indicator that they are doing good business).  Pdox is a good counter example.  They make niche games and started out around the same time.  Pdox has become quite successful, while battlefront has managed to remain about the same size.

I agree with you. TBF, though, I tried downloading my old purchases, and back till 2011 still works (I keep those emails with the download links), whereas 2008 doesn't. So while they say the link expires after 365 days, in practice they hang around longer. Their store is still horrific.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on January 09, 2015, 10:19:28 AM
I also like the attitude of, "Combat Mission is so niche, it'll lever work on Steam!" Which is why Paradox, who were similarly niche, moved completely to Steam, because it was outselling all their other avenues, including their - formerly - own GamersGate, by a country mile.

(Bit of an unfortunate name for a store these days ...  :D )

Gamersgate also had a horrible setup. From what I recall it was either paypal (which I didn't have) or you had to setup some other system that would connect with your bank account. It lacked the direct credit card route - at least for cards we have here in the us. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Hm, I seem to recall it worked fine with European cards.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I just checked and I see they list Visa/Mastercard now. Before I think it only had JCB (is that a credit card?) and Maestro debit card.

Or maybe that's wrong but all I can recall is jumping through hoops as an American. Was glad when distribution was changed. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

FWIW, I seem to recall that there were frequent complaints about their billing process.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Looks like it has potential, but I won't hold my breath.  Haven't been impressed with a naval warfare game since Dangerous Waters, and it was a long stretch since Harpoon actually worked.

celedhring

These ships are beautiful. I can see myself just sailing around with them for the sake of it.