News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2014, 03:37:05 AM
Thanks. Likely I wouldn't have the stomach to actually play it, but maybe to play around with it... You can get it with a printed manual, no? :hmm:
Yes, it comes with a printed manual.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

My biggest issue with WITP was the inability to ramp up IJ plane and pilot production, but after reading some on the subject, I understand why they did what they did.  While the US was pushing pilots through at ramped up rates once hostilities began, the IJN was still bouncing pilot candidates out for failing white glove inspections.  Rather disconnected from the realities of the early war phase, and the expectation that pilots will have to be replaced.

The Brain

It would have been cool if a few diehard pilots had held out in the Philippines until the 70s, flying ragged Zeros held together by duct tape and Yamato spirit, engines running on palm oil.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2014, 12:56:53 PM
My biggest issue with WITP was the inability to ramp up IJ plane and pilot production, but after reading some on the subject, I understand why they did what they did.  While the US was pushing pilots through at ramped up rates once hostilities began, the IJN was still bouncing pilot candidates out for failing white glove inspections.  Rather disconnected from the realities of the early war phase, and the expectation that pilots will have to be replaced.

Japanese combat pilots had no leave and were not retired to become pilot instructors. They were kept on the frontline until they died. Plus the hours of training needed until going out out of flight school were far longer than their US counterpart.

The Brain

BUT they got all the vending machine panties they could eat.

The Brain

I got the game. :blush:

Cause I'm in such a huge Pacific War phase I just can't get enough of the stuff.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on June 21, 2014, 09:56:51 AM

Cause I'm in such a huge Pacific War phase I just can't get enough of the stuff.
have you gotten all of H.P. Wilmott's books on the topic?  He's the best author of the Pacific War, IMO. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 21, 2014, 05:03:20 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 21, 2014, 09:56:51 AM

have you gotten all of H.P. Wilmott's books on the topic?  He's the best author of the Pacific War, IMO.

No. Thanks for the tip. I have read H.P. Lovecraft's Pacific stuff though.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Drakken on June 20, 2014, 05:08:52 PM
Japanese combat pilots had no leave and were not retired to become pilot instructors. They were kept on the frontline until they died. Plus the hours of training needed until going out out of flight school were far longer than their US counterpart.

This wasn't the plan, but that's the way it worked out.  The Japanese mobilized their instructors into "temporary" combat units just before the war started, but then couldn't spare them to return to instructor duty.  Plus, they couldn't get combat pilots to agree to leave their units and become instructors, and it was considered dishonorable to try to force them to become instructors.

Prewar (and, in the Navy, until after Midway), the pilot training programs were absurdly difficult and expensive.  Lack of fuel changed that; by 1944 pilots were arriving in front-line units with only about 100 hours of flight time total, none of it in type.  The Japanese were also very quick to write off damaged or won out aircraft, so they didn't have the reserves of used front-line aircraft to use as advanced in-type trainers.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Can you do a Doolittle raid in WitP:AE?

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2014, 12:07:44 PM
Can you do a Doolittle raid in WitP:AE?

No.  Planes return to their base of origin after a combat phase mission.  You can load a B-25 squadron onto a carrier when docked, but the only mission you can fly with it is a transfer mission in the orders phase.  You cannot land a B-25 on a carrier at all.

It is possible to evacuate the USAFFE HQ from the Philippines, though, and so save MacArthur.  Then, when SWPacCom HQ shows up, you will have a second Douglas MacArthur!

Also, as the allies, keep an eye out for LCDR Quinton McHale as a PT Boat TF commander. 

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Broke down and picked up the PC versions of Fallout 3 and NV. Enough time has passed since I played them on Xbox to start anew.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".