News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2021, 08:10:02 AM
Personally, I hope they'll lean even more towards hands off than in Vic2 where you could only hope and pray your capitalists built useful factories half of the time. :P

But looking at HoI4 and EU4 which give ever more control to players to play out whatever revisionist fantasy they crave I suppose that's unlikely to happen. :(

So that's a recommendation to try out Victoria 2 ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

It's a weird game to get into. Check out some online tutorials.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on May 21, 2021, 08:07:38 AM
When we analyzed the data from Stellaris, we realized what the players loved most was micro-ing pop jobs and trying to unfuck their economy because worker drones kept auto-promoting/demoting every day.

With that in mind, we're announcing Victoria 3: Triumph of Bureaucracy so you can live out your dreams of deciding whether the pop representing 3 Albino Ethiopians living in East London will be a clerk or a laborer.

Pre-order today!

I remember all the pop related bugs we found when beta testing Vic I.  As I recall it, shortly after release, Johan publicly vowed never to make a game with pops again...

Syt

Was he involved in Stellaris? I recall that he also said he'd never make a sci-fi game.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on May 21, 2021, 08:38:07 AM
Personally, I hope they'll lean even more towards hands off than in Vic2 where you could only hope and pray your capitalists built useful factories half of the time. :P

But looking at HoI4 and EU4 which give ever more control to players to play out whatever revisionist fantasy they crave I suppose that's unlikely to happen. :(

I think it is their best game. Not much in the way of magical mana pools; instead there are indirect controls and actions which might work out. Also each major state has its own advantages and disadvantages which are interesting. Playing Austria-Hungary and trying to prevent all change is a fun game for example.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 21, 2021, 10:30:45 AM
Quote from: mongers on May 21, 2021, 08:38:07 AM

I think it is their best game. Not much in the way of magical mana pools; instead there are indirect controls and actions which might work out. Also each major state has its own advantages and disadvantages which are interesting. Playing Austria-Hungary and trying to prevent all change is a fun game for example.

I agree.  It is the one game that has not been ruined by the need to make all nations equally playable in multiplayer

Syt

It's probably also the one game where they'd have to completely start from scratch because no one can figure out the economy interactions anymore. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

You can wishlist Master of Magic 2:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1623070/Master_of_Magic/

QuoteMaster of Magic is a combination of an RPG and a strategy game, a remake of a classic from the 90s.

In Master of Magic you take up the role of one of 14 unique and diverse great wizards who compete with each other to dominate the worlds of Arcanus and Myrror.
Choose from different schools of magic and fantasy races to command, then lead your minions and expand your influence and power across the land.

Recruit and command mighty armies of elves, dragons, dwarves, orcs and many more. Support them with powerful spells. Fight tactical turn-based battles and affect the outcome with your magic.

Research new spells, engage in alchemy, perform rituals and use your arcane powers to change the world around you.
Always beware of the machinations of your rival wizards, who seek to reach your same goals. But in the end, remember: there can be only one Master of Magic.

Features:
14 unique playable powerful wizards
5 schools of magic and 18 traits to customize your wizard
Over 60 special abilities
Over 200 spells to research
14 fantasy races to command, including elves, dwarves, trolls, draconians, orcs, klackons, gnolls and many more
196 unique unit types
Over 250 unique magical items, as well as custom crafting
Two parallel dimensional planes, Arcanus and Myrror

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2021, 11:48:16 AM
:cool:

Done

I hope it will be good. The devs previously made the Thea games which were good, so that gives some hope. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2021, 11:50:25 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 21, 2021, 05:28:30 AM
So apparently Paradox leaked a Victoria 3 announcement but then deleted it: https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/nho2mg/victoria_3_leak_on_the_forums/

Oh my Hod! I am so happy to hear this!

There's actually a bit of a debate now whether it was real or an elaborate troll, based on the fact that Paradox normally uses roman numerals in their sequel numbering. We'll see tomorrow, I guess.

Habbaku

Isn't the game announcement today in ~30 minutes?  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2021, 11:53:27 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2021, 11:48:16 AM
:cool:

Done

I hope it will be good. The devs previously made the Thea games which were good, so that gives some hope. :)

Even better - l really enjoyed Thea.