And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on November 23, 2018, 03:21:06 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2018, 08:45:52 AM
So I watched a bit of Battlefield V on Twitch, and my first immediate concern was, "Why is there a Sturmtiger in North Africa?"

From what I've heard there are Tigers in 1940 Rotterdam, fighting the British while V1 rockets fly overhead. I don't think the game is supposed to make any sense.

Speaking of which, I hope some young nazis get all upset, when you are playing on the German side sometimes you jump out of a plane as a paratrooper, and in the pre-jump animation there's a black soldier :D Well, the animation is the same regardless of the side you play. But still.

FunkMonk

Yeah, I don't think anyone playing EA's Battlefield games a lot is really all that interested in historical authenticity. They all kind of play the same since BF4. Those folks are playing the Red Orchestra and Rising Storm series.

Not saying they aren't still fun, because they can be. I had a good deal of fun in BF 1.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

It just makes the "women destroy the game's realism" group all the sillier.

Btw, comment from a COD WW2 review of the single player campaign. Yes, it's a collection of old tropes and all that. However, they'll be old only to older gamers. There's a whole new generation of players that weren't inundated with WW2 movies, series, and games like we were in the late 90s/early 00s. With the veterans dying off, the conflict disappears ever more from the public's mind.

Heck, it's as far back now as WW1 was when I was a kid.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Oh god no, I've quickly fast-forwarded into a preview stream recording of the X4 Foundations game and the guy is walking around in a station! Noooo... I was so looking forward to this game maybe not sucking but fuck me if I am going to once again walk around trying to find bloody merchants I can actually trade with.

I can use the bloody Internet even in 2018 for such a thing so why not in the distant bloody future?!!

Tamas

Ok looking in further he seems to be trading after docking without leaving his ship. :P That's better :P

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

garbon

I'm having another cup of tea to settle my nerves over that close scrape!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Zoupa

Tamas, how noob-friendly are those X games? They always look amazing and the concept really appeals to me. Unfortunately they seem to be kinda niche and really hard to get into if you haven't played the previous versions.

Also are they similar to Elite Dangerous? A mile wide and an inch deep?

Legbiter

Been playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker lately. If you were into the isometric RPG's of old Bioware then you're in for a treat. A mammoth of a game. the writing is...pathcy but servicable I'd say so far.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Quote from: Zoupa on November 30, 2018, 12:55:06 PM
Tamas, how noob-friendly are those X games? They always look amazing and the concept really appeals to me. Unfortunately they seem to be kinda niche and really hard to get into if you haven't played the previous versions.

Also are they similar to Elite Dangerous? A mile wide and an inch deep?

I think at their heart they are German-style business strategy games. You are working toward the point where you are running a business empire from the map and some spreadsheets. The basic idea of space trading on that scale interests me but I have never gotten really far with any of these games.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Berkut

I want to design a game that is basically Eve Online, but without you actually driving spaceships around in any kind of first/third person view.

IE, your role is that same as someone in Eve who is playing the Eve game at the level above actually flying your ship itself.

So the focus of the game would be on dominating some area of space using your own ships that must be built (or bought from those who do build them), or engaging in mercantislism (building ships) or whatever.

So if you want to engage in some Eve analagous activity, like mining, you don't fly your ship there and do it, you send your ship(s) there to do it, and control them more like a board game.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned