And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 26, 2018, 10:08:42 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 26, 2018, 08:33:03 AM
Is the sensor lock ability some kind of equipment I need to install?

It's the first ability you unlock in the Tactics branch of the skill tree

ah, thanks

Pedrito

I'm totally new to the Battletech universe, yesterday I tried to start a game but didn't have much time, and stopped at the "Choose your background" screen: do the different affiliations matter for my initial stats, or its' more of an aesthetics and starting position matter? which one did you choose?

And, I'm a bit worried about the requisites: my pc is a i5 2.500K with 8gb RAM and a 960GTX, hope it works without too much stuttering...

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Pedrito on April 26, 2018, 11:36:00 AM
I'm totally new to the Battletech universe, yesterday I tried to start a game but didn't have much time, and stopped at the "Choose your background" screen: do the different affiliations matter for my initial stats, or its' more of an aesthetics and starting position matter? which one did you choose?

And, I'm a bit worried about the requisites: my pc is a i5 2.500K with 8gb RAM and a 960GTX, hope it works without too much stuttering...

L.

Some of the character choices affect your initial skill values, like giving you a +1 to Gunnery at the start of the campaign. This won't lock you into a certain skill path though because you gain XP every mission and you can certainly march up a different skill path.

Some of the background character choices affect the RPG-like conversation choices you have, as well as occasionally giving you additional options in the random events that happen during interstellar travel.

The game runs ok on my midrange desktop, but some performance issues and one crash are telling. I think it would be perfectly the right decision to wait until a patch or two to pick this up, unless you really love Battletech and want to kick big robots in the balls RIGHT NOW. The gameplay itself is really solid and it will still be that way in a few weeks or months after technical issues are ironed out.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Scipio

BattleTech is such a powerful dose of nostalgia I felt like I'd been kicked in the nuts. It really captures the feel of the tabletop game without the shitty reliance on dice rolls, paper, and jerky GMs.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Legbiter

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2018, 11:34:54 AM
Expeditions Vikings is a lot of fun.  A lot of options and story lines to follow so I think I will have a lot of fun exploring the various story branches over time.  They have done a good job capturing the feel of the viking age and building up our homestead has a satisfying feel to it.  Highly recommend this one.

Bought this one on your recommendation and so far it's a blast.

Thanks for the heads up.

Been running it with the Norse english version for that extra bit of cultural relevance.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Pedrito on April 26, 2018, 11:36:00 AM

L.

Davions are munchkins. Steiner are boring. Kurita is for those with body pillow issues. Liao are lunatics and Marik are generally ignored.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

Agreed. Only proper Swedenese-speaking Rasalhaguers are fit to rule the Sphere.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Have to do my first reload in Battletech. I thought I had the game figured out, going through several missions without much trouble in terms of Mech damages. But now I am running into missions where I end up being outnumbered, which sucks. And I am not sure is needed: the AI seems capable: it gangs up on the weak link in your Lance, tries to concentrate fire on already damaged parts, and won't expose its own damaged sides to you if it can help it - at least that's my impression.

mongers

Looking for a traditional rpg mainly dungeon based game on steam, any suggestions?

Ideally an updated 'eye of the beholder' or something along that lines.

Has to have character generation, 3-6 dungeon party size. Definitely not 3d graphics, isometric 2d at a touch.

I'm trying out this, but it's a bit too generic, no back story, just a high-score based on dungeon clearance:
Monsters' Den: Book of Dread
https://store.steampowered.com/app/502230/Monsters_Den_Book_of_Dread/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on April 28, 2018, 06:08:33 PM
Looking for a traditional rpg mainly dungeon based game on steam, any suggestions?

Has to have character generation, 3-6 dungeon party size. Definitely not 3d graphics, isometric 2d at a touch.

I'm trying out this, but it's a bit too generic, no back story, just a high-score based on dungeon clearance:

I really enjoyed Legend of Grimrock (1 and 2).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2018, 07:10:50 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 28, 2018, 06:08:33 PM

I really enjoyed Legend of Grimrock (1 and 2).

Thanks for that I'll check them out.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Whoever chased Syt away needs to investigate if this is worth checking out or not:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/599010/Hanse__The_Hanseatic_League/

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on April 30, 2018, 08:12:01 AM
Whoever chased Syt away needs to investigate if this is worth checking out or not:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/599010/Hanse__The_Hanseatic_League/

That looks an awful lot like Patrician. Not that that's a bad thing.

KRonn

Yeah, that looks like an expanded version of a new Patrician game, with a bit of Port Royale to it. The Patrician games being among my favorites, have played a lot of hours with them. 

Habbaku

I put about 15 hours into Expeditions: Viking and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It's not a bad game, per se, but nor does its main gameplay system (combat) really strike me as all that interesting.

It is, at its essence, a tactical combat game rather than a true RPG (there is very little characterization in the cast) and the tactical combat just isn't that engaging. At a certain point, in my 50th battle or so, it just got repetitive. Hit this button, whack this guy, position my guys behind cover, shoot the thing, avoid traps. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Unfortunately, the strategic management elements aren't nearly interesting enough to make up for it, either. The game has you building up your homeland through the course of the game to get various bonuses, but it's all off-screen and handled in a simple menu. I'm sure there's something at the end-game that makes it more important, but in the interim...nothing all that terribly intriguing.

Couple that with the fact that, for all this Vikinginginging that I'm doing, you only ever seem to get control of 10(!) characters, only 6 of whom will ever be involved in combat at any one time and...it doesn't really feel like I'm going to be the scourge of England.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien