News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I am afraid to buy it, there is no way it aged well.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on October 21, 2020, 11:55:50 AM

Wasn't it terribly buggy at the time, then the company went bankrupt or out of business or something?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2020, 12:13:15 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 21, 2020, 11:55:50 AM

Wasn't it terribly buggy at the time, then the company went bankrupt or out of business or something?

That's what I heard, but for 5.99 I find it hard to resist. Not that I think I will be able to sink much time into this. :D

That said, it sounds like the intro was narrated by David Warner :wub:

https://youtu.be/t5ZtHphQWt4
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Ok, I clicked around for 5 minutes, and I admit the game has a very neat aesthetic and a cool soundtrack. And it strikes an interesting atmosphere somewhere between Warhammer 40K, Dune, and HRE in spaaaace (thought he throne world is Byzantium II ....).

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Really enjoyed the game until my save was corrupted.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

The GOG forums have a few links to fan sites and mods. I might give this one a try over the weekend, maybe watcha  tutorial, to figure out what's going on. Even if it's buggy, it looks interesting enough, even if it might be buggy.

It seems they also released RPG rulebooks for the setting.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

And a tabletop space combat game, Noble Armada.

grumbler

I'd forgotten the name of this game so could never find it again, but I recall it quite fondly (except for the incredibly slow land movement).  Holding the right office at the right time was the key, as I recall.  There's one office that has to fight on some nightmare planet and if you get it too early you won't have the strength to beat the.... I don't recall what that enemy was.

It had a great vibe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition.

The original one was a great game.  I've always had fun battling evil British imperialists, fighting rebel Iroquois nations and of course, nothing could compare with the joy of destroying the Russian invasion force in the Colorado Rockies during the Seven Years War ;)

They've made a lot of under the hood changes, bug fixes and they uspcaled the graphics&videos to look really nice.   They apparently tweeked the story a little and renamed the Sioux and Iroquois as Lakota and Haudenosaunee, changed their unit rosters, their abilities, their buildings and their economy.  Since I've only played the first 4 missions, I haven't seen it yet, but on paper, it looks really nice.
Unfortunately, it seems they put the accent on MP, human vs human, and they kinda forgot about optimizing the AI.

The result is a bug ridden game.  They will fix it like they fixed the 2 others, they've just begun, but it's gonna take a couple of months at least to reach the level of quality of the original game.

Units get stuck in unmovable objects; AI will build a fuckton of units but can't send it to attack you because they're stuck in its base between building and he keeps pumping units to the max that increase the problem; sometimes an attacking army will see your towers as fixed objects (like rock) that it can't attack; lambs&cows can't be slaughtered for food yet they are critical to some campaign missions; and so on...

It was a great game that has the potential to be even better, it's still played a lot online (though it can't be compared to something like Starcraft), but unfortunately, at this point, I could not recommend it for anyone.  Wait one year, like I did for AOE II DE and it will be great again ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Zachtronic are known for puzzlers like Spacechem, Shenzhen I/O, TS-100 and Opus Magnum.

New game coming next week:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/971160/Mbius_Front_83/

QuoteThe year is 1983 and the United States of America must defend itself from an enemy it could have never imagined— an America from an alternate universe that will stop at nothing to seize control of the country's heartland!

In Möbius Front '83 you will fight tactical, turn-based battles with the cutting-edge military hardware of the early 1980s. Use every tool available -- powerful tanks, fast-moving attack helicopters, long-ranged artillery, tenacious infantry, and more -- to control the complex and rapidly-changing battlefield of the era.

Who are the "Americans" attacking America, and why? Find out in the game's extensive single-player campaign and its fully voiced cutscenes. When you're ready for some R&R, play a new kind of solitaire, solve Zachtronics-style puzzles, and even read the U.S. military manuals that inspired the game. :w00t:

Video trailer:

https://youtu.be/ivN7txHWoOI

I am intrigued. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Good thing it isn't set in 2020. Wouldn't be much of a game.

The Brain

Solmyr

Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2020, 04:04:19 PM
Anyone have Sex With Stalin?

I don't think we have anyone that old here, except maybe Grumbler.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on October 26, 2020, 04:04:19 PM
Anyone have Sex With Stalin?
This sounds like an awesome game.
Unfortunately google tells me this was a question for Syt and not about a game.
██████
██████
██████