The other SCOTUS ruling: yeah, Citizens United can fuck states' rights, too

Started by CountDeMoney, June 26, 2012, 08:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Hmmm, grumbler and the Languish law firm bitching about the proper use of archaic terminology.  Imagine that.

Ideologue

Quote from: Scipio on June 26, 2012, 01:36:38 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 26, 2012, 11:53:17 AM
Quote from: Scipio on June 26, 2012, 10:43:05 AM
States are sovereigns.  Sovereigns don't have rights, they have powers.

I've never understood why so many people don't get that distinction.
It's very convenient to be ignorant of that fact.  Southerners get to elide racism out of the civil war, and progressives get to elide humanity out of the state.  Everyone gets what they want, and they get to use the same bad terminology to advance their agendas.

Yilaborate.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2012, 08:51:11 AM
Don't really see the cause for concern here...other than Montana wasting the money of the few taxpayer's that it has.

By...what?  Passing a law 100 years ago?  A century ago they were supposed to anticipate this court challenge somehow?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2012, 02:22:02 PM
Don't really see the cause for concern here...other than Montana wasting the money of the few taxpayer's that it has.

By...what?  Passing a law 100 years ago?  A century ago they were supposed to anticipate this court challenge somehow?

No the waste on defending against this and all their politicians rallying as if this is some hot button issue.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2012, 09:03:08 AM

ZOMG the evol corporations are buying elections!!!111

Not really.  They buy off both sides so they win either way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2012, 02:24:47 PM
No the waste on defending against this and all their politicians rallying as if this is some hot button issue.

I consider massive corruption and legalized bribery a pretty big issue personally.

Sheilbh

That Montana law sounds like the sort of idea you have of a Progressive, trust-busting, anti-corporate West.  It seems very of its time.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2012, 02:26:07 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2012, 09:03:08 AM

ZOMG the evol corporations are buying elections!!!111

Not really.  They buy off both sides so they win either way.

I don't believe that. Seedster has convinced me that corporations only buy elections for Republicans.  Pretty sad state of affairs though as even with all their cash, they seem unable to even buy up most of the seats!

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2012, 02:26:56 PMI consider massive corruption and legalized bribery a pretty big issue personally.

garbon likes to pretend that he's got things in common with the people who carry out the massive corruption and legalized bribery, so of course he's in favour of it.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 26, 2012, 02:30:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2012, 02:26:56 PMI consider massive corruption and legalized bribery a pretty big issue personally.

garbon likes to pretend that he's got things in common with the people who carry out the massive corruption and legalized bribery, so of course he's in favour of it.

Not really. :)

Ideologue

Sick burn.  I forgive you for your pun in the other thread. :hug:
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2012, 02:26:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2012, 02:24:47 PM

I consider massive corruption and legalized bribery a pretty big issue personally.

From the article it seemed like everyone knew from the outset that their defense was likely to fall on deaf hears...and the politicians now raising a stink, well I guess that might warm some voters' hearts but not sure what practical use that has.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on June 26, 2012, 02:31:30 PM

Sick burn.  I forgive you for your pun in the other thread. :hug:

Unlike Marti, I never claimed to brush elbows with the "movers and shakers" of the world. :P