Calling all Spaniards - bellboy tipping question

Started by Martinus, June 24, 2012, 06:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

What's the acceptable tip in Spain for a bellboy for bringing your luggage to your hotel room?

Martinus

Is 5 euro fine or too little? I'm in my room waiting for the luggage so this is urgent and I only have 5 and 20 euro notes. :P

Ideologue

It's Spain, so nothing.  They should get used to their status as slaves of Northern Europeans sooner rather than later.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Seriously, five euros sounds good enough for wheeling some dude's bag onto an elevator.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Well in Euros duh. :rolleyes:

Personal trips I tip them like $5 if using themm but the standard tip is usually $1-2 per bag here in US.
Working I usually have all the camera gear in my room which means upwards of 10 cases and bags which i then tip accordingly ie around $20
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

5 should be fine. How much do you tip the cleaning staff?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

I have never taken a trip where I had more luggage than I could carry myself.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

You're a super rich lawyer. 5 euros would be fine for a normal person but you should pay 20 and spread the wealth.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

5€ sounds like a bit too much, unless you're carrying a royal retinue worth of luggage.

Iormlund

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 24, 2012, 07:22:17 AM
I have never taken a trip where I had more luggage than I could carry myself.

Same here.

Martim Silva

In the Iberian Peninsula, tips are not expected.

Though for some reason foreigners keep giving them  :wacko: , often in obscene amounts.

Basically:

Either give nothing, or pay very handsomely - 200 euro or more.

If you don't tip, nobody will think any worse of you.

If you give a tiny tip, you will look like an idiot.

If you give a large tip, you will be considered a wealthy foreigner and treated quite well.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Brazen

Tip extra for the bag containing all your hair-styling products.