28 (47.5%)
Younger than 35 - no
24 (40.7%)
Like Jaron, I never rode a bike as a kid
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

CountDeMoney

sbr

35 and no way, never even heard of one back then.  We did more crazy stuff on our Big Wheels, before we had bikes.

Ed Anger

Big Wheels.  :)

Curb jumping extreme!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

We lived in a pretty hilly area.  There was one really steep street, the top was a dead end and at the bottom was a t intersection with another residential street.  We would go to the top of that street on our Big Wheels and come screaming down the hill, with feet up, and shoot across the other street, with no flaggers or spotters, hit the curb and fly into my next door neighbors yard.  It was fun for a few weeks until a stupid adult saw what we were doing and had a conniption fit and told our parents.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on June 22, 2012, 06:55:56 PM
We lived in a pretty hilly area.  There was one really steep street, the top was a dead end and at the bottom was a t intersection with another residential street.  We would go to the top of that street on our Big Wheels and come screaming down the hill, with feet up, and shoot across the other street, with no flaggers or spotters, hit the curb and fly into my next door neighbors yard.  It was fun for a few weeks until a stupid adult saw what we were doing and had a conniption fit and told our parents.

We we were kids we decided to become parachutists. We practiced our skills for a few days by jumping from very low tree limbs with grocery bags held over our heads. No one was injured, so obviously our skills were sound.

We then decided to go to the next level. We made a parachute with a bookbag and a sheet tied inside. The concept was to jump from a tall tree (probably about 25 ft), unzip the bookbag, and then parachute safely to the ground. One of my friends was climbing the tree for the moment of glory, when his idiot father looked out the window and shut it down while freaking out, obviously not appreciating our da vinci like genius and design.

The poll isn't what I expected--we are older than I thought, and I figured most young people use helmets.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

I remember constructing suits of armor from cardboard boxes and duct tape, then beating each other with rolled up newspaper swords.

DontSayBanana

Bicycle helmets never fit me right, so I didn't bother.  As far as beatings for appearances, my white, blue, and purple Huffy bicycle did a lot more to earn me beatings than a dorky helmet ever would. :blush:
Experience bij!

Tonitrus

Actually, come to think, the only serious accident I ever had on a bicycle as a kid on my BMX would have been better with heavy duty boots.  It had those serrated-kind of pedals (probably for better grip), and once going down a hill, I took my feet off...the pedals kept spinning, and when I stupidly try to put my feet back on, and it tore a good chunk out of my left ankle.  The doctor said it was a good thing I was a fat kid, as that was about all it tore out.  :D

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 22, 2012, 11:06:55 PM
Actually, come to think, the only serious accident I ever had on a bicycle as a kid on my BMX would have been better with heavy duty boots.  It had those serrated-kind of pedals (probably for better grip), and once going down a hill, I took my feet off...the pedals kept spinning, and when I stupidly try to put my feet back on, and it tore a good chunk out of my left ankle.  The doctor said it was a good thing I was a fat kid, as that was about all it tore out.  :D

I used to ride a bicycle, then I took a spoke to the knee.
Experience bij!

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 22, 2012, 09:18:00 PM
I remember constructing suits of armor from cardboard boxes and duct tape, then beating each other with rolled up newspaper swords.

Enough about your date last week, what did you do as a child.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on June 22, 2012, 08:05:02 PM

We we were kids we decided to become parachutists. We practiced our skills for a few days by jumping from very low tree limbs with grocery bags held over our heads. No one was injured, so obviously our skills were sound.

How is putting a gorcery bag over your head going to slow your rate of descent?? :huh:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Maladict

No, nobody wears a helmet here. Bicycles have de facto right of way over everything (pedestrians, cars, zebra crossings, traffic lights).
Besides, unless you're old it's pretty hard to hurt yourself at such slow speeds.

I do wear a helmet every time I'm on the racing bike, and I won't ride with anyone who doesn't.

11B4V

Quote from: Maladict on June 23, 2012, 08:23:38 AM
No, nobody wears a helmet here. Bicycles have de facto right of way over everything (pedestrians, cars, zebra crossings, traffic lights).

Where's this Utopia? Hippieland.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 23, 2012, 10:23:09 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 23, 2012, 08:23:38 AM

Where's this Utopia? Hippieland.  :P

That's OK, they still can't out-legislate basic physics.  4 wheels good, 2 wheels bad.