Police: Attorney couple plants drugs on PTA leader in dispute over their son

Started by jimmy olsen, June 21, 2012, 08:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Helicopters are better suited for close support, pacification and asymmetrical mobility.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

I CAN GET LICENSED WHENEVER I WANT.  Provided "whenever I want" means "when the state I live in offers an exam, and providing I pass a C+F screening, which, if I don't, I will sue my school and get all my monies back, plus interest, plus three years of lost earnings waiting tables, plus damages for intentional infliction of emotional distress."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Pass the bar and hang out your own shingle, man.  Start with wills and other basic procedural paperwork bullshit, work up to collections, move on to traffic and DWIs, go to child support and divorces.  Bang unhappily married chicks.  Work for yourself.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2012, 09:50:52 PM
Helicopters are better suited for close support, pacification and asymmetrical mobility.

I'm not imagining that, though, right?  I swear there were people in the 80s talking about "fighter helicopters," referring in part to the Hokum, and as a possible role for the Apache, arming them with AAMs, or air-deployable versions of Stingers and SA-whatevers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2012, 09:58:50 PM
Pass the bar and hang out your own shingle, man.  Start with wills and other basic procedural paperwork bullshit, work up to collections, move on to traffic and DWIs, go to child support and divorces.  Bang unhappily married chicks.  Work for yourself.

Easier said than done.  Taking into account the fact I don't have any prospective clients, and have no idea how to get clients, or really how to do very much aside from middling criminal representation, and factoring in malpractice insurance and office space*, well, I make more money now.  Substantially.

*I forget if SC has a bona fide office rule, but it's pretty declasse to not have one anyway--even so, that rule is a shit in the face of struggling law grads.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2012, 09:59:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2012, 09:50:52 PM

I'm not imagining that, though, right?  I swear there were people in the 80s talking about "fighter helicopters," referring in part to the Hokum, and as a possible role for the Apache, arming them with AAMs, or air-deployable versions of Stingers and SA-whatevers.

No, you're right, but only to the extent as a modicum of defensive capability against other helicopters that would be prowling the FEBA.  A secondary capability, not a primary one.  Killing tanks, and then if necessary, killing other choppers killing tanks.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2012, 10:02:36 PM
Taking into account the fact I don't have any prospective clients, and have no idea how to get clients,

Phone book.  Business cards.  Hanging out at the court house. Ready to roll on Pookie's bail review 10 minutes after meeting his mother. Solicitation.

Damn, son.  Grow some fucking balls.  Get out there, and eat what you kill.  Fuck.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2012, 10:07:47 PM
Phone book.  Business cards.  Hanging out at the court house. Ready to roll on Pookie's bail review 10 minutes after meeting his mother. Solicitation.

Damn, son.  Grow some fucking balls.  Get out there, and eat what you kill.  Fuck.

Bolded for emphasis.  In less restricted states, paralegals hang out there and bilk the masses on help filling out simple forms.  You wouldn't have to stick to simple forms.  Where's your entrepeneurial spirit, dude? :P
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 22, 2012, 10:11:10 PM

Bolded for emphasis.  In less restricted states, paralegals hang out there and bilk the masses on help filling out simple forms.  You wouldn't have to stick to simple forms.  Where's your entrepeneurial spirit, dude? :P

No shit.  Kids these days don't know the meaning of the word "hustle".  ZOMG I NEED AN OFFICE FIRST  Fuck that.  Your briefcase is your office.  Make house calls in the 'hood.  You are: The Honda Lawyer.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2012, 10:15:45 PM

No shit.  Kids these days don't know the meaning of the word "hustle".  ZOMG I NEED AN OFFICE FIRST  Fuck that.  Your briefcase is your office.  Make house calls in the 'hood.  You are: The Honda Lawyer.

It's the sense of entitlement and the "everyone's a winner" mentality taught in schools nowadays.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2012, 09:55:38 PM
I CAN GET LICENSED WHENEVER I WANT.  Provided "whenever I want" means "when the state I live in offers an exam, and providing I pass a C+F screening, which, if I don't, I will sue my school and get all my monies back, plus interest, plus three years of lost earnings waiting tables, plus damages for intentional infliction of emotional distress."
Wouldn't you lose said lawsuit?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2012, 10:15:45 PM

I know the meaning of the words "poor," "starving," and "malpractice."

However, one of us does not know the meaning of the words "bona fide office" or how, in some jurisdictions, this is in fact a requirement to practice.

Also, if I go out tomorrow and "hustle" it won't say that on the arrest report, it'll say "barratry."

Also also, I know it's difficult to fix that "IF = Ideologue, THEN = unemployed" code, but I do in fact already have a 50 hour a week job that pays pretty well.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2012, 10:20:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2012, 09:55:38 PM
Wouldn't you lose said lawsuit?

Well, I doubt I'd get all my CoAs and damages.  But I think I could make a good case for negligent misrepresentation in the case that I failed a C+F screening for reasons which were known to the law school I gave $70k.

On the other hand, I do have a job doing a job only a JD is permitted to do, but which requires no licensure, and which pays more than most one-year-out lawyers/all lawyers actually make, at least on an hourly basis.  So actual damages might be hard to prove, you're right.
Kinemalogue