Greek 'Führer' vows to ‘take back İzmir' after Istanbul

Started by jimmy olsen, June 20, 2012, 08:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Queequeg on June 21, 2012, 11:12:21 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 21, 2012, 05:26:57 AM
I first read Aegean sea but the guy still wants Trebizond/Trapezus for the link with the Komnenoi obviously.

Pontos had a very large Greek minority until the end of the Ottoman Empire.  There were wide scale massacres, and the remaining population was forced either to emigrate (where they formed a majority of the urban population of Thessaloniki and Athens) or betray the faith of their fathers.

I know ;) Nowadays, the events leading to the disappearance of the Pontic Greek community are referred as a genocide (not in Turkey obviously).

Neil

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 22, 2012, 03:07:52 AM
I know ;) Nowadays, the events leading to the disappearance of the Pontic Greek community are referred as a genocide (not in Turkey obviously).
Which has a way of lessening the impact of the word genocide.  My vote is that we only use the word genocide for actual cases of genocide, not some Greeks getting pushed out because they took the wrong side in a war.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2012, 07:56:58 AM
Which has a way of lessening the impact of the word genocide.  My vote is that we only use the word genocide for actual cases of genocide, not some Greeks getting pushed out because they took the wrong side in a war.

By that definition, then there was actually a genocide then because there was more than just some pushing à la "German out of Sudeten"  in 1945.
The Pontic Greeks were never evacuated or transferred unlike those in Smyrna (despite the Great Fire).

Neil

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 22, 2012, 08:27:09 AM
By that definition, then there was actually a genocide then because there was more than just some pushing à la "German out of Sudeten"  in 1945.
The Pontic Greeks were never evacuated or transferred unlike those in Smyrna (despite the Great Fire).
And yet they still escaped.  Population transfer is not genocide.  You can call it ethnic cleansing if you like, but not genocide.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2012, 08:41:14 AM
And yet they still escaped.  Population transfer is not genocide.  You can call it ethnic cleansing if you like, but not genocide.

The Pontic Greeks did not, the Smyrnean did. For the former it was a genocide, for the latter an ethnic cleansing as you said.

Neil

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 22, 2012, 08:51:29 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2012, 08:41:14 AM
The Pontic Greeks did not, the Smyrnean did. For the former it was a genocide, for the latter an ethnic cleansing as you said.
No, there were tons of them that ended up in Greece or Russia.  It was more like the India/Pakistan exchange than the Holocaust.