News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Uruguay plan to let gov't sell marijuana

Started by jimmy olsen, June 21, 2012, 12:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2012, 08:17:42 AM
Oh, and all the empty boxes littering the lab scenes after meth explosions didn't hurt, either. 

Ah yes, because no one has ever stolen a product before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoephedrine#United_States
Another approach to controlling the drug on the state level which has been mandated by some state governments to control the purchases of their citizens is the use of electronic tracking systems, which require the electronic submission of specified purchaser information by all retailers who sell pseudoephedrine. Several states that have implemented tracking systems are: Tennessee, Kentucky, and Oklahoma. These states have had mixed results in reducing the number of methamphetamine laboratory seizures in their states. Prior to implementation of the system in Tennessee in 2005, methamphetamine laboratory seizures totaled 1,497 in 2004, but were reduced to 955 in 2005, and 589 in 2009. Kentucky's program was implemented statewide in 2008, but since statewide implementation, the number of laboratory seizures has actually increased. Oklahoma initially experienced success with their tracking system after implementation in 2006, as the number of seizures dropped in that year and again in 2007. However in 2008, seizures began rising again, and have continued to rise in 2009.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Tennessee, Kentucky, and Oklahoma.  'Nuff said.

garbon

Meanwhile I get to suffer if I arrive in the evening somewhere and I forgot to bring my allergies meds.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

Meth labs are disappearing in MS, where you can't get pseudoephedrine without a scrip.  However, pseudoephedrine synthesizers are wiping out the meth harvest.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Martinus

Quote from: Scipio on June 21, 2012, 09:45:13 AM
Meth labs are disappearing in MS, where you can't get pseudoephedrine without a scrip.  However, pseudoephedrine synthesizers are wiping out the meth harvest.

I have been taking pseudoephedrine for my cold. It was OTC.  :huh:

DontSayBanana

Actually, we already have to do this for pseudoephedrine in NJ; prescription or no, it's kept behind the counter, and you have to show your license and sign whenever you're purchasing a pseudoephedrine product
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on June 21, 2012, 09:47:20 AM
Quote from: Scipio on June 21, 2012, 09:45:13 AM

I have been taking pseudoephedrine for my cold. It was OTC.  :huh:

You obviously don't have a meth lab problem in downtown Varsovie.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 21, 2012, 01:29:14 AM
You don't go on a government watch list when you buy cigarettes or alcohol and you shouldn't for this either. Nor will the government intervene in your life by sending to you to rehab for buying X amount of cigarettes or booze unless you actually commit a crime while under the influence.
You do go on a government watch list when you buy Claritin D, though.  And if you buy more than about 40 days' worth of supply in a month, you're automatically committing a federal crime.

DGuller

Argh, ninja'd by a couple of meth lab operators.  :mad:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on June 21, 2012, 09:57:23 AM
Argh, ninja'd by a couple of meth lab operators.  :mad:

S'okay, we could always use manpower for the pile-on. :hug:
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 21, 2012, 07:46:53 AM
Uruguay does the "Switzerland of Latin America" pretty well.

It's like going to Argentina without being in Argentina.  Or something.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 21, 2012, 01:29:14 AM
You don't go on a government watch list when you buy cigarettes or alcohol and you shouldn't for this either.

YOu have to get government permission before buying booze in Nunavut, and they keep track of how much booze you do buy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Martinus on June 21, 2012, 12:57:44 AM
"List like that" is a pretty much standard approach to selling any controlled substance to the public, whether it's certain medical drugs or medical marijuana. Same applies to stuff like guns in countries that have gun control etc. The idea is to track if people are not buying excessive amounts (presumably, to smuggle them) that exceed personal use. I fail to see how this is weird, let alone "fucked up". This is fucking normal.

So, I will repeat: are you fucking retarded?

Yay, so it seems I pulled that post out of my ass but it's actually true. Take that, Timmah!  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 21, 2012, 10:46:11 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 21, 2012, 12:57:44 AM
"List like that" is a pretty much standard approach to selling any controlled substance to the public, whether it's certain medical drugs or medical marijuana. Same applies to stuff like guns in countries that have gun control etc. The idea is to track if people are not buying excessive amounts (presumably, to smuggle them) that exceed personal use. I fail to see how this is weird, let alone "fucked up". This is fucking normal.

So, I will repeat: are you fucking retarded?

Yay, so it seems I pulled that post out of my ass but it's actually true. Take that, Timmah!  :lol:

To be fair to Tim, the news article does make that sound really sensational and crazy. :D

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2012, 11:01:04 AM
To be fair to Tim, the news article does make that sound really sensational and crazy. :D

Journalists: trying to create hype from the mundane since the dawn of time. :contract:
Experience bij!