Ecuador says WikiLeaks founder Assange is seeking asylum

Started by jimmy olsen, June 19, 2012, 08:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on August 16, 2012, 03:39:54 PM
Didn't the Colombian government discover documents that indicated Ecuador had been supplying the FARC?

*quick google*

:smarty:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-13436104
Hell I could have told them that

Neil

The problem is that once it's been done at all, evil races like the Russians and the Chinese will go at it willy-nilly, and there won't be any judicial proceedings.  Even if the Government has the legal right to do so, they should restrain themselves and just blast the building with AC/DC.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2012, 06:04:02 PM
It would be a horrific precedent. What would stop China or any other dictatorship from doing that to get a dissident that sought shelter in an American or European embassy?
:huh:  The same thing that stops them now:  the fact that it would cost them diplomatic relations with the nation whose embassy was invaded, plus any other countries that would decide to sever diplomatic relations in protest.  It isn't like the Chinese or other dictatorships are deterred right now by a fear of getting arrested if they invade embassies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2012, 09:52:28 PM
The problem is that once it's been done at all, evil races like the Russians and the Chinese will go at it willy-nilly, and there won't be any judicial proceedings.  Even if the Government has the legal right to do so, they should restrain themselves and just blast the building with AC/DC.

Embassies have been invaded in the past, so its already been done.  Again, the thug states aren't stopped by a lack of precedent, but rather by fear of the consequences of their actions.  What Britain does has no bearing on that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/08/17/julian_assange_asylum_offer_by_ecuador_president_correa_criticized_by_international_community_on_freedom_of_the_press_.html

slate argues that assange got asylum in ecuador because the UK, US and Reporters without borders have been busy criticizing him for restricting the freedom of the press. The best way to avoid looking dirty is to sling so much muck that everybody is covered in it. That and Ecuador is quickly becoming a Chinese colony.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

All those stories of Assange getting pizza deliveries made me think  :hmm: Would it violate any international law to slip in a little poison in one of those pizzas?   :ph34r:  Not enough to kill him, but just enough to necessitate a visit to the hospital, and from there to the American death row?  :ph34r:

Razgovory

It's much better for him to be a fugitive from justice.  His credibility is shot.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2012, 08:18:46 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2012, 09:52:28 PM

Embassies have been invaded in the past, so its already been done.  Again, the thug states aren't stopped by a lack of precedent, but rather by fear of the consequences of their actions.  What Britain does has no bearing on that.

Yeah it seemed like people were conveniently forgetting what has already happened in the past.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2012, 10:06:06 PM
All those stories of Assange getting pizza deliveries made me think  :hmm: Would it violate any international law to slip in a little poison in one of those pizzas?   :ph34r:  Not enough to kill him, but just enough to necessitate a visit to the hospital, and from there to the American death row?  :ph34r:

I'm sure they can find a doctor who does house calls.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?