News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows Surface

Started by garbon, June 19, 2012, 09:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Any thoughts on the announcement?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2012, 09:14:40 AM
Any thoughts on the announcement?

The cover/keyboard idea is brilliant.

As for the rest... we'll have to wait and see the actual device.  No prices have been announced.  No idea how performance is.  And I think it's bizarre they're releasing two different processor types - Intel and ARM.  Software will not be compatible between them, so they're just splitting their user base in half.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

The Metro apps can be made to be compatible.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

The slide keyboard is not really new. Though using it as cover is.

Asus EEE Slide
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2012, 09:45:06 AM

Yeah, but doesn't that just make things more a PITA for apps developers...not a good thing when Apple already blows away everyone else for apps numbers?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 19, 2012, 01:26:13 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2012, 09:45:06 AM

Yeah, but doesn't that just make things more a PITA for apps developers...not a good thing when Apple already blows away everyone else for apps numbers?

Yes. Windows 8 is a god damn PITA for me already & it's not even out.

Tonitrus

Well, call me a curmudgeon, but what I've seen of Windows 8 makes me want to punt Ballmer in the nutsack.

MadImmortalMan

Like you need a new reason to do that.

Word is, they are only going to be selling it in MSFT retail stores and not through the normal distribution channels. I wonder what the thinking there is. They only have 20 stores.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 19, 2012, 02:19:05 PM
Well, call me a curmudgeon, but what I've seen of Windows 8 makes me want to punt Ballmer in the nutsack.

Same.

I installed Win7 a while ago and it really is very good, but Win8 sounds like an unholy mess.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2012, 02:42:41 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 19, 2012, 02:19:05 PM

Same.

I installed Win7 a while ago and it really is very good, but Win8 sounds like an unholy mess.

A iTablet-like experience on my desktop?  Nuh fuckin uh.

Grey Fox

I have tried Windows 8.

It's a complete redesign. Metro kills everything we've learned to use since Windows 95.

Tonitrus

It will certainly be interesting, depending on how committed MS is when they launch this turkey, how the market will react.

Would MS backpedal from a Windows-user backlash?
Will Windows users simply adapt?
Or will they just say "well, fuck it, guess I might as well go all-Apple then", and throw the balance all the way to Apple in the PC market as well.

Honestly, if Windows 8 operates as fugly as I think it looks...I will probably cling onto 7 as long as it's supported, and then just go with my third option.  I am already somewhat familiar with the Mac interface on my laptop (even though I think Windows 7 is significantly superior).  Maybe I am just too old to care to learn tablet-crap for a desktop...and I think it's fine for an iPad-type device, but I need my classic PC.  :(

If I do have to go full-Apple, it also sucks that Mac Pro is dwindling away.  I blame stupid kids (who lack the desire to tinker with components) these days.  :mad:

Tonitrus

Speaking of which, I am thinking of being all Ed Anger-ish and getting an iPad.  :blush:

Ed Anger

I'll buy one. Just because.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 19, 2012, 04:14:22 PM
I'll buy one. Just because.

I think we already knew this.  :P