News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Can There Be 'Justice' Without Lawyers ?

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 03:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I dunno.  Crime is out of control in Edmonton.  Last year was murder central, and this year it's like the movie 'Heat' or something, what with armed robberies and gun fights and the like going down.  I know who I blame... <_<
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on June 18, 2012, 10:40:55 PM
I dunno.  Crime is out of control in Edmonton.  Last year was murder central, and this year it's like the movie 'Heat' or something, what with armed robberies and gun fights and the like going down.  I know who I blame... <_<

I'm only one man. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Sounds to me like +1 Curling broom needs to be broken out of retirement.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

The planet Ajuris 5 solved their lawyer problem centuries ago and they seem to be doing well enough.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2012, 03:42:56 PM

But those safeguards do of course make it an incredibly expensive and inefficient system.

And thus make lawyers more necessary.  :P

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on June 18, 2012, 11:03:15 PM
Again i ask that we send Timmay to NK
Hey now, just because they nearly executed an innocent Green Lantern for genocide doesn't mean the system's flawed. The evidence against him was so iron clad even he thought he'd done it and plead guilty.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2012, 03:19:06 PM
Prompted by the article below about genocide 'trials' in Rwanda I thought I'd ask the question it prompt in my mind:

Can there be 'justice' without lawyers ?

Oh and what about considering the question, was there 'justice' before lawyers are arrived ?

Yes, at the point of a sword.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on June 18, 2012, 08:39:03 PM
The courts, I'll buy, but frankly I'm a bit stunned that a someone trained in an adversarial legal system would take that view of the role of lawyers.
Not necessarily.  Lawyers have a dual duty to their client and to the court.  I had to do a legal ethics course on it :goodboy:

I believe that what means varies.  On my course a lot of the writing was American but we were also told that the single-minded devotion to client interests is far stronger in the US than the UK.  I'm not sure why I think the structure of the bar probably has some impact, as for barristers does the cab rank rule.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on June 18, 2012, 10:40:55 PM

Americans?

Martinus

I don't think it's the lawyers who legislate to make laws complex. In fact, based on my personal experience, it's politicians without legal training who legislate the most ambiguous, inaccurate and silly laws, which leaves lawyers with a trouble of having to interpret what they really meant and making sure it does not have too many unforeseen consequences.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2012, 12:48:06 AM
I don't think it's the lawyers who legislate to make laws complex. In fact, based on my personal experience, it's politicians without legal training who legislate the most ambiguous, inaccurate and silly laws, which leaves lawyers with a trouble of having to interpret what they really meant and making sure it does not have too many unforeseen consequences.

Before my brother-in-law moved to the Governor's office, he was in Legislative Services: it's kind of like a bullpen of lawyers the legislators drawn upon to assist them with the drafting of bills and language at the state level because they all don't have their own staffs, and they are the first and only real bulwark against shitty laws.  Some of these people come up with off-the-wall nuttiness that only the lawyers can stop.
It's a delicate position:  you have to tow the line between politely assisting the legislator with what he wants to accomplish and "Um, your bill proposing to physically beat people leaving advertisements on windshields in shopping center parking lots violates the Constitution and several Federal laws."   :lol:

Sheilbh

In the UK we've an office of lawyers employed by Parliament who do legislative drafting.  Glanville Williams calls it a noble calling :lol:

But this could be a difference between common law and civil law countries.  Especially with ones like England which don't do purposive interpretation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 19, 2012, 06:13:10 AM
In the UK we've an office of lawyers employed by Parliament who do legislative drafting.  Glanville Williams calls it a noble calling :lol:

But this could be a difference between common law and civil law countries.  Especially with ones like England which don't do purposive interpretation.

This is obviously the same here but MPs have a tendency to introduce last minute changes and modifications that sometimes have far-reaching consequences.

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 18, 2012, 10:58:10 PM
The planet Ajuris 5 solved their lawyer problem centuries ago and they seem to be doing well enough.

Comic book authors need to be more inventive when they name planets.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.