Job organizational preference: Fishes and ponds

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2012, 12:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What position within your environment do you prefer?

I'd rather be a Big Fish in a Small Pond:  Gimme powah, control, visibility and responsibility
12 (46.2%)
I'd rather be a Small Fish in a Big Pond:  Room to grow, quietly, with limited responsibility
9 (34.6%)
I get all the Big Fish fired in my Pond with my uber733t PowerPoint Presentation skillz
0 (0%)
Other: Self employed, solo artist, freelancer, etc
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2012, 03:29:18 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 20, 2012, 01:08:56 PM
Hard to say. I've never really worked in a company that has less than a few thousand employees, so I only know "small fish in big pond". It certainly has its advantages and disadvantages and I can understand it's not everybody's preferred work environment. I am occasionally doubting that it is the right thing for me too, but then it's all I know, so I don't know if "big fish in small pond" would be more my thing.

Well in my experience working in a "small pond" your co-workers know you better and your direct supervisor has a much better ability to assess how you're doing.  That leads to generally greater trust in your ability, and less bereaucratic nonsense.

The downside, of course, it that fish grow to fit the size of their tank.  You can only go so far up the ladder in a small pond.

I was probably at a point in my career where moving to the big main office was a good idea.  But it sure is easy to get lost in the crowd, and hard to stand out.

Ponds have ladder now ?

You'd be better of with changing the analogy that Marti could vet for you.
:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

He needs the fish ladder to get to the next pond or further upstream, only then can he spawn  :cool:

Admiral Yi

My experience in a Small Pond has led me to the conclusion that it is totally dependent on the personalities around you.  Not so much in a Big Pond.

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on June 20, 2012, 04:55:34 PM
Hard to say. I've never really worked in a company that has less than a few thousand employees, so I only know "small fish in big pond". It certainly has its advantages and disadvantages and I can understand it's not everybody's preferred work environment. I am occasionally doubting that it is the right thing for me too, but then it's all I know, so I don't know if "big fish in small pond" would be more my thing.

Well in my experience working in a "small pond" your co-workers know you better and your direct supervisor has a much better ability to assess how you're doing.  That leads to generally greater trust in your ability, and less bereaucratic nonsense.

The downside, of course, it that fish grow to fit the size of their tank.  You can only go so far up the ladder in a small pond.

I was probably at a point in my career where moving to the big main office was a good idea.  But it sure is easy to get lost in the crowd, and hard to stand out.

Ponds have ladder now ?

They most certainly do!

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2012, 05:07:23 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 20, 2012, 04:55:34 PM

Ponds have ladder now ?

They most certainly do!

Oh that'll be one of those 'special' ponds with one dimension surprisingly long, anywhere from 20-4000 miles across, but rather narrow across the other way.   :P

edit:
though your analogy is far superior to Marti's, his would have to include concrete, Flemish lace-making and day trading.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"