Job organizational preference: Fishes and ponds

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2012, 12:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What position within your environment do you prefer?

I'd rather be a Big Fish in a Small Pond:  Gimme powah, control, visibility and responsibility
12 (46.2%)
I'd rather be a Small Fish in a Big Pond:  Room to grow, quietly, with limited responsibility
9 (34.6%)
I get all the Big Fish fired in my Pond with my uber733t PowerPoint Presentation skillz
0 (0%)
Other: Self employed, solo artist, freelancer, etc
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

DGuller

I generally like to be a big fish in a small pond, because I believe that happiness is determined much more by relative things like status rather than absolute things like income.  However, when it comes to work, stability is supreme, so in that case bigger pond is better.  My current situation is about perfect;  my company is big enough to be big, but not big enough that running into a CxO is like running into Obama.

PDH

I do both.  I don't try to hustle for enough adjunct hours to sort of pay the bills while still not having healthcare, so I work for the University full time and teach a class each semester.  That makes me both a little fish and a (somewhat) more big fish - at least I get to do what I want without interference as long as SOMEONE teaches the freshmen.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on June 20, 2012, 09:26:14 AM
at least I get to do what I want without interference as long as SOMEONE teaches the freshmen.

My sister became an adjunct instructor this semester, and taught her first two freshman/gen ed requirement Biology classes for the first time.

It didn't take long to utterly destroy her faith in the future of America with today's youth.

PDH

I get some good kids, to be honest.  Still, there are the mind numbing ones that just make me want to bring out the "claw-hammer" method of instruction.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

My preference is to be a biggish fish in a small to medium pond, or even better, in a small to medium cove of the ocean.

Zanza

Hard to say. I've never really worked in a company that has less than a few thousand employees, so I only know "small fish in big pond". It certainly has its advantages and disadvantages and I can understand it's not everybody's preferred work environment. I am occasionally doubting that it is the right thing for me too, but then it's all I know, so I don't know if "big fish in small pond" would be more my thing.

Iormlund

My case goes similarly, but the other way around. I've worked in places with at most 30 employees and a distinct lack of hierarchy.

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on June 20, 2012, 01:12:51 PM
My case goes similarly, but the other way around. I've worked in places with at most 30 employees and a distinct lack of hierarchy.
I currently have five hierarchy levels above me (manager, senior manager, director, vice president, board member). My department (headed by a senior manager) has more than 30 people.

I can't spend a Euro without approval by my senior manager and have to check with my manager for a lot of operational decisions too.

The Brain

I won't share details regarding my job with you people.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on June 20, 2012, 01:08:56 PM
Hard to say. I've never really worked in a company that has less than a few thousand employees, so I only know "small fish in big pond". It certainly has its advantages and disadvantages and I can understand it's not everybody's preferred work environment. I am occasionally doubting that it is the right thing for me too, but then it's all I know, so I don't know if "big fish in small pond" would be more my thing.

Well in my experience working in a "small pond" your co-workers know you better and your direct supervisor has a much better ability to assess how you're doing.  That leads to generally greater trust in your ability, and less bereaucratic nonsense.

The downside, of course, it that fish grow to fit the size of their tank.  You can only go so far up the ladder in a small pond.

I was probably at a point in my career where moving to the big main office was a good idea.  But it sure is easy to get lost in the crowd, and hard to stand out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

By birth and location I am a small fish in a small pond (oh, hello Mrs. Prime Minister).
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive