News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 2012 London Olympics Sports Thread

Started by mongers, June 18, 2012, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 07:54:26 PM
Yi doesn't have to do much of anything. :)

You've finally joined the ranks of the idle rich?

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2012, 02:42:46 PM
The Polish were so proud of the Gold medal they just won, they went and had it bronzed.
:lol:

Both me and my wife laughed our asses off.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 06:26:37 PM
The JV teams is part of the reason men's fodbol is not doing it for me.

Yeah this has always annoyed me.  Why do we only have one meaningful tournament every four years?  This is not so bad for the Euros since their confederation tournament is also considered a major but for us in CONCACAF this means we have exactly one shot every four years and that blows.  And don't act like anybody really cares about Copa America outside of South America.  ESPN does not cover that one live for a reason.  Heck even the Confederation Cup is a joke.  Pretty much whenever the US beats somebody outside of the WC I am always told it was meaningless.  Meh.

The Olympics would be a perfect midpoint for another major championship I just do not get why that doesn't happen.  Probably some political garbage between the IOC and FIFA.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on August 01, 2012, 08:17:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 06:26:37 PM
The JV teams is part of the reason men's fodbol is not doing it for me.

Yeah this has always annoyed me.  Why do we only have one meaningful tournament every four years?  This is not so bad for the Euros since their confederation tournament is also considered a major but for us in CONCACAF this means we have exactly one shot every four years and that blows.  And don't act like anybody really cares about Copa America outside of South America.  ESPN does not cover that one live for a reason.  Heck even the Confederation Cup is a joke.  Pretty much whenever the US beats somebody outside of the WC I am always told it was meaningless.  Meh.

The Olympics would be a perfect midpoint for another major championship I just do not get why that doesn't happen.  Probably some political garbage between the IOC and FIFA.

The European leagues are close to starting. I'm sure ManU would be PISSED if Rooney blew out a knee at the Olympics 3 weeks before the season starts. Or that eggplant that Mart swoons over that is a big crybaby for that Dago team.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Incidentally todays event's haven't exactly given the lie to the old adage that the Brits are only good at sports were they can sit down.   :bowler:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on August 01, 2012, 08:14:35 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2012, 02:42:46 PM
The Polish were so proud of the Gold medal they just won, they went and had it bronzed.
:lol:

Both me and my wife laughed our asses off.

:)

And Yi asked if I made it up. Nope, stolen from the interweb somewhere.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Some nice looking birds on the Russian roundball team.

Liep

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 01, 2012, 12:05:45 PM
Some sort of betting thing or whatever going on with three four women's doubles badminton teams.  China, South Korea, and Indonesia were all tossed out of the games for trying to lose on purpose. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/worlds-top-badminton-pair-play-to-lose-group-match-at-london-olympics/2012/07/31/gJQAPoerNX_story.html

Did anyone actually see this? 

Yeah, I saw a bit of the Chinese - S. Korea, it was ridiculous. The entire Wembley arena booed at both teams who were competing in most net hits, serve errors and what not. All in all a horrible attitude and they were rightly thrown out of the competition.

Also, it wasn't a betting thing, they tried to get into an easier bracket for the quarterfinals.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on August 01, 2012, 07:49:52 PM
How come I've managed to miss all of the beach volleyball etc; Someone, Yi, needs to give me some links to the 'worthwhile' games that I should catch up on.  :)

They've mostly been wearing full body suits. Blood English weather.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 01, 2012, 02:38:47 PM
Woot Wooot Woooooooot!!!!!

Brent Heyden from my home town just won a bronze medal.  I remember him as a small kid hanging around the pool swimming for the same club I swam for.

Its a very good feeling to see him succeed.

:)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on August 02, 2012, 04:53:49 AM
Yeah, I saw a bit of the Chinese - S. Korea, it was ridiculous. The entire Wembley arena booed at both teams who were competing in most net hits, serve errors and what not. All in all a horrible attitude and they were rightly thrown out of the competition.

Also, it wasn't a betting thing, they tried to get into an easier bracket for the quarterfinals.

Yeah, they didn't want to match up with the Chinese pair in the doubles or something.  Very silly overall.

Octavian

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2012, 05:02:55 PM
My God, Olympic boxing scoring is a fucking, fucking joke.

And that Turkmenistani judge virtually gave that fight to the Azerbajani when the Japanese boxer totally whaled the fuck out of him in the 3rd round.  Guy goes down about 7 times in the 3rd round on punches, no counts, no fight stopped.

Fucking international competition is such fucking bullshit.

The ruling has been overturned in favor of the Japanese.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19088420
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Josquius

what i've seen of the sports bores me.
Though I did catch some gymnastics last night and found one of the Japanese gymnasts to be teh hotness.
Considering gymnasts have a reputation of being about 15 this therefore makes me a bad, bad man.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

The 2 man canoe slalom was pretty neat. Congrats Brits.  :bowler:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on August 02, 2012, 09:45:42 AM
what i've seen of the sports bores me.
Though I did catch some gymnastics last night and found one of the Japanese gymnasts to be teh hotness.
Considering gymnasts have a reputation of being about 15 this therefore makes me a bad, bad man.

They actually have to be 16 to compete.