News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Painting Indoors

Started by Darth Wagtaros, June 18, 2012, 01:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

I'm gonna paint the living room, over a coat of what looks like slightly off white paint on the walls and ceiling.

Should I wash the walls first?
PDH!

Strix

Prime it with Kilz first!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Grey Fox

Yes.

You will wash your wall with a degreaser, then you will use compounds joint (plaster) (3 coats!) to fill every holes & crack then you will use a primer & then paint 2 coats of your color of choice.

Notice I use "you will", these are not recommendation. These are your orders, soldier.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

I thought this was something fun like painting on a canvas, indoors. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

My mother is an artist. I am a tracer at best. :(
PDH!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

KRonn

I just painted 2 rooms and the hall, plus two ceilings. I washed them down first to get any dirt or dust off. I didn't wash real strenuously as the walls weren't that dirty. I was a bit concerned over how well things would come out, afraid I'd have such a mess. But it all went ok, and I love the way things look.

DontSayBanana

"Wash, spackle, primer with Kilz, paint" is how I've always done it.
Experience bij!

katmai

Jesus, Mary & Joseph wags.
Of course you should wash before painting.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 18, 2012, 01:43:39 PM
I'm gonna paint the living room, over a coat of what looks like slightly off white paint on the walls and ceiling.

Should I wash the walls first?

Wash the walls first.  Use polyfilla for any cracks on the wall.  If there are a lot of cracks or holes, sand them and prime them.  Otherwise, go with the paint.  Depending on the colors, 1 or 2 coats, maybe 3. 

If you go from very dark colors to very light colors, use prime paint everywhere first.  If you're going from white to white or very light colors, it is unnecessary.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

How should I deal with little areas of chipped paint, probably from tape being pulled off? Spackle would raise the area up wouldn't it?
PDH!

Strix

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 19, 2012, 08:13:30 PM
How should I deal with little areas of chipped paint, probably from tape being pulled off? Spackle would raise the area up wouldn't it?

First, you can try sanding it down and see how smooth it gets. If that doesn't work than apply a thin layer of spackle than sand it down so that everything is even.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

The Brain

I paint tiny men indoors.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.