Is Texas dad who killed man to protect his 5-year-old daughter a criminal?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 17, 2012, 04:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on June 18, 2012, 09:25:54 AM
A 23 year old father of a 5 year old....colour me suspicious of his status as an upstanding member of society.
:yeahright: That doesn't have anything to do with whether he's a moral individual or not.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

A 23 year old father of a 5 year old....colour me suspicious of his status as an upstanding member of society.

Yes, people who procreate always seem to have sinister motives.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 18, 2012, 09:46:22 AM
:yeahright: That doesn't have anything to do with whether he's a moral individual or not.

Not instantly. But having a kid when you're 18....tends not to say good things about a person.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2012, 03:41:22 PM
These facts are mitigating when it comes to a gulty plea, but do not constitute a legal defence. -_-
I think they could in the UK for a partial defence of loss of control due to a justifiable sense of being seriously wronged  :goodboy:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 18, 2012, 09:55:21 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2012, 03:41:22 PM
These facts are mitigating when it comes to a gulty plea, but do not constitute a legal defence. -_-
I think they could in the UK for a partial defence of loss of control due to a justifiable sense of being seriously wronged  :goodboy:

In Canada, "provocation" reduces murder to manslaughter.

Quote232. (1) Culpable homicide that otherwise would be murder may be reduced to manslaughter if the person who committed it did so in the heat of passion caused by sudden provocation.

What is provocation

(2) A wrongful act or an insult that is of such a nature as to be sufficient to deprive an ordinary person of the power of self-control is provocation for the purposes of this section if the accused acted on it on the sudden and before there was time for his passion to cool.

Questions of fact

(3) For the purposes of this section, the questions

(a) whether a particular wrongful act or insult amounted to provocation, and

(b) whether the accused was deprived of the power of self-control by the provocation that he alleges he received,

are questions of fact, but no one shall be deemed to have given provocation to another by doing anything that he had a legal right to do, or by doing anything that the accused incited him to do in order to provide the accused with an excuse for causing death or bodily harm to any human being.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on June 18, 2012, 09:49:29 AM

Not instantly. But having a kid when you're 18....tends not to say good things about a person.
:bleeding:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 18, 2012, 10:17:28 AM

:bleeding:
He has a point.  People who have children that young are generally bad people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on June 18, 2012, 10:23:52 AM

As are people who wait longer and people who never have kids.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 18, 2012, 10:39:02 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 18, 2012, 10:23:52 AM

As are people who wait longer and people who never have kids.
Or people who wait just long enough and then have some.
PDH!

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on June 17, 2012, 10:49:43 AM
If this goes to court it would a shame on Texas.
This guy is a fucking hero.

Somebody was killed dude.  An investigation and a trial should be happen.  I think there is plenty of precedent for the guy to be ruled innocent but the facts should at least be submitted before a jury.  You cannot just have people killing each other.

You have temporary insanity and it probably would at worst be manslaughter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Dude it is a rural community.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2012, 11:11:53 AM
Whatever the moral justification of this, I can't see how this can be seen as "protecting". It's revenge.

Huh?  It looks like he hit the rapist with his hands while the rapist was in the act.  How is that revenge?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2012, 10:53:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2012, 11:11:53 AM
Whatever the moral justification of this, I can't see how this can be seen as "protecting". It's revenge.

Huh?  It looks like he hit the rapist with his hands while the rapist was in the act.  How is that revenge?
Read his edit. :contract:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy