Is Texas dad who killed man to protect his 5-year-old daughter a criminal?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 17, 2012, 04:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2012, 12:53:18 PM
I think I'm beginning to see why you are unable to find a well-paid job as a lawyer.
If the guy had been diddling a five-year old boy, you'd be calling this a hate crime.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

These facts are mitigating when it comes to a gulty plea, but do not constitute a legal defence. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on June 17, 2012, 03:41:22 PM
These facts are mitigating when it comes to a gulty plea, but do not constitute a legal defence. -_-

Yup.

Malthus

Two words: jury nullification.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Now, if he had shot the guy (and also subsequently died), would that be legally different/justifiable (using Texas law, not Euro/Canadian) than a beating-to-death? 

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2012, 04:03:15 PM

How often does that actually happen? I was under the impression it was a rare occurrence outside of TV.
PDH!

Jacob

At the very least there should be an investigation of the facts and they should be put to trial.

If the truth is that the man walked in on someone molesting his 5-year old daughter, he tried to defend her and in doing so accidentally killed the perpetrator, then I think he should be declared innocent or found guilty of whatever degree of manslaughter is appropriate under the local jurisdiction.

If the truth is that the man walked in on someone hanging out with his 5-year old daughter and erroneously assumed she was being molested and then proceeded to kill the man, he should be found guilty of whatever the appropriate crime is.

If the truth is that the man killed another man and then falsely claimed that he was protecting his 5-year old daughter, then he should be found guilty of murder.

Whatever the truth is should be determined by the court system, a duly appointed judge and/or the jury, again as appropriate under local laws. I don't believe it is up to the sheriff to declare whether a man is innocent or not.

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on June 17, 2012, 05:21:24 PM
At the very least there should be an investigation of the facts and they should be put to trial.

If the truth is that the man walked in on someone molesting his 5-year old daughter, he tried to defend her and in doing so accidentally killed the perpetrator, then I think he should be declared innocent or found guilty of whatever degree of manslaughter is appropriate under the local jurisdiction.

If the truth is that the man walked in on someone hanging out with his 5-year old daughter and erroneously assumed she was being molested and then proceeded to kill the man, he should be found guilty of whatever the appropriate crime is.

If the truth is that the man killed another man and then falsely claimed that he was protecting his 5-year old daughter, then he should be found guilty of murder.

Whatever the truth is should be determined by the court system, a duly appointed judge and/or the jury, again as appropriate under local laws. I don't believe it is up to the sheriff to declare whether a man is innocent or not.

This.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

Quote from: Jacob on June 17, 2012, 05:21:24 PM

True, but if the investigating officer believes the father's story, the DA is not going to be likely to seek an indictment, at least in most US jurisdictions.

Ideologue

PLEASE MARTINUS LECTURE ME ON AMERICAN LAW

It's gone so well for you in the past.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 17, 2012, 11:21:53 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 17, 2012, 11:18:09 AM
I think any case of someone getting kilt should result of an investigation.  Mass media is nice and all but it shouldn't really dictate how the justice system works.

Definitely. The guy could be lying - I find it unbelievable that people are willing to believe any story they are told without expecting anyone to check the facts.

Facts are for fags.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 17, 2012, 04:50:57 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2012, 04:03:15 PM

How often does that actually happen? I was under the impression it was a rare occurrence outside of TV.

Well, allegedly 3-4% of US jury trial involve nullification, but that figure is from some kind of advocacy group so who knows how reliable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification#21st_century

Point is that BB is right, provocation generally isn't an absolute defence (dunno about Texas, of course  ;) ), but where the facts are sufficiently compelling, it is possible to win nonetheless.

Of course, the article is totally slanted. Could be the guy just murdered this other fellow for his own reasons and then invented the story about molestation. But of the molestation thing turns out to be true, I find it hard to believe a Texas jury would convict him, even if he did actually commit criminal manslaughter according to the laws - i.e., kept beating him above and beyond the need to protect himself & the girl. They'd give him a cheer more like.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

A 23 year old father of a 5 year old....colour me suspicious of his status as an upstanding member of society.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 18, 2012, 09:25:54 AM
A 23 year old father of a 5 year old....colour me suspicious of his status as an upstanding member of society.

It'd be much better if he was 39. :yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.